New Orleans-based saxophonist Khris Royal has been busy over the last year! When he’s not touring with Rebelution or playing with George Porter Jr. & The Runnin’ Pardners, Royal has been hard at work with his own band, Dark Matter, which features Big Sam Williams (trombone), John Michael Bradford (trumpet), Danny Abel (guitar), and Max Moran (bass).This weekend, Khris Royal & Dark Matter shared their brand new single “Step Children” featuring the one and only Nigel Hall on the Rhodes organ. Says Royal of the track, “‘Step Children’ is a tribute to funk night at Wally’s, the historic jazz club in Boston where I played three nights a week while attending Berklee Collage. The Tuesday night band was called Step Children. No one really knows how they got the name. Some people say it’s because they were treated like step children because the Straight Ahead Band was treated better. They played on Fridays and Saturdays.You can listen to “Step Children” below, via Royal’s SoundCloud:Royal explained the personal significance and backstory of the song to Live For Live Music: “When I first got to Berklee I was only 17 and Wally’s was 21 and up so I never tried to go. One day, Nikki Glaspie (Dumpstaphunk, Beyonce, Nth Power) and James Casey (Trey Anastasio Band) told me I had to go with them because Nikki was playing there with (frequent Soulive collaborator) Sam Kinninger . I had no idea Sam played there every Tuesday, so I went with them and Nikki got me in. A week later, Amy and Aaron Bellamy called me because Sam was leaving to tour with Soulive, and I ended up filling in with the Step Children Wally’s. Playing there with that band changed the way I play. Up until that point, I had always looked at myself as a jazz cat. The Step Children made me realize I wanted to be able to play everything.”Continues Royal, “It was only natural to have Nigel Hall on this track. Nigel moved to Boston right as I was leaving for Los Angeles. He would come sit in with us every week so he totally understands the spirit of Wally’s and the Step Children. When I moved, Nigel took my place in the band before being picked up to tour with Soulive and Lettuce who also have roots at Wally’s Jazz Club.[Photo via Nola.com]
Sam Pardue, dean of the University of Georgia College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences (CAES), will serve as the keynote speaker at the upcoming Georgia Ag Forecast seminar series set for Jan. 22 through Feb. 1. The annual meetings allow UGA agricultural economists to address Georgia’s farmers, lenders and agribusiness leaders about the latest trends and economic conditions in Georgia’s No. 1 industry — agriculture.At the seminar’s six locations across the state — Bainbridge, Carrollton, Lyons, Macon, Tifton and Watkinsville, Georgia — Pardue will discuss how CAES works with Georgia’s agricultural leaders and how the college works to help solve the issues facing rural Georgia.“Perhaps more than ever, the Ag Forecast is needed to assist farmers, ranchers, agribusinesses and the organizations that support them to plan for the future,” Pardue said. “Uncertainty in weather, commodity prices, trade and access to markets, regulatory policy, and labor creates a challenging environment for Georgia producers. While we cannot predict the future, we can bring all the tools at our disposal to better inform our stakeholders in their decision-making processes.”CAES hosts the Georgia Ag Forecast seminar series every year. Those interested in attending the seminars can register at georgiaagforecast.com. Economists from the UGA Center for Agribusiness and Economic Development and CAES Department of Agricultural and Applied Economics will present the economic outlook for Georgia’s producers with an emphasis on Georgia’s major commodities.“Ag Forecast provides producers, bankers and agribusiness leaders with a glimpse of what will happen in 2019. It presents data on how conditions in Georgia, the United States and the globe will impact producers here in Georgia,” said Kent Wolfe, director of the UGA Center for Agribusiness and Economic Development.Participants will have the opportunity to meet with UGA faculty and UGA Cooperative Extension agents and will leave the meeting with a copy of the 2019 Georgia Ag Forecast book. It provides detailed outlooks of the major commodities produced in Georgia from scientists who work on the crop year-round.One topic that’s expected to be on the forefront is how Hurricane Michael will impact the future of Georgia agriculture. The storm devastated south Georgia agriculture on Oct. 10, 2018, causing more than $2.5 billion in crop losses. Since the hurricane moved through Georgia during harvest season, multiple crops were at extreme risk for damage.“The impact from Hurricane Michael will undoubtedly be a hot topic because it impacted a number of commodities in the state with potential global implications,” Wolfe said.Georgia’s cotton crop sustained between $550 and $600 million in losses, classified as immediate damage to commodities grown by Georgia producers. Pecans suffered $100 million in losses to its crop along with $260 million in losses to trees and $200 million in losses to future income. Other crop damages include $763 million in losses to timber, $20 million in losses to poultry houses, and $480 million in losses to vegetables.The 2019 Georgia Ag Forecast series will be held:Tuesday, Jan. 22: Macon, Georgia — Georgia Farm Bureau BuildingWednesday, Jan. 23: Carrollton, Georgia — Carroll County Ag CenterFriday, Jan. 25: Watkinsville, Georgia — Oconee County Civic CenterTuesday, Jan. 29: Lyons, Georgia — Toombs County Agri-CenterThursday, Jan. 31: Bainbridge, Georgia — Decatur County Agricultural CenterFriday, Feb. 1: Tifton, Georgia — Tifton Campus Conference CenterThe Tifton seminar will begin at 7:30 a.m. with a breakfast buffet. All of the other seminars will begin at 10 a.m. and will be followed by a networking lunch.The Georgia Ag Forecast seminar series is presented by UGA CAES and the Georgia Department of Agriculture. For more information on the 2019 Georgia Ag Forecast series, visit georgiaagforecast.com or search for #gaagforecast on social media.
Press Association The 27-year-old flanker is primed to end 14 months of injury woes by featuring for the Irish Wolfhounds against England Saxons on Friday night. O’Brien has endured two bouts of surgery on the same shoulder since his last Test action, in Ireland’s 24-22 New Zealand defeat in November 2013. The bullish British and Irish Lion could now make his long-awaited full Test return in either Ireland’s second-round clash with France or their March 1 showdown with England. “Sean trained fully on Tuesday to be honest,” said head coach Schmidt, as Ireland prepare to open their campaign in Italy on February 7. “So we’d be hopeful that he’d be involved in the first half of the Six Nations.” O’Brien’s club Leinster believe the combative loose forward could feature in Pro12 action against Newport Gwent Dragons on February 15. Ireland host France in Dublin on Saturday, February 14, so if O’Brien is embroiled in club action that weekend, his Test return would then come against England. Schmidt’s Ireland side entertain England in Dublin when this year’s Six Nations reaches its midway point, and O’Brien’s return would prove a tangible mid-tournament boost. Loosehead prop Cian Healy has been battling hamstring problems since September, and is another aiming to return to the Test arena during the upcoming competition. Schmidt still believes Healy will feature during the tournament, but sounded a note of caution in respect of the destructive ball-carrying front-rower. Sean O’Brien is on course to feature in the first half of Ireland’s RBS 6 Nations title defence, according to boss Joe Schmidt. Schmidt vowed not to take any risks with his crop of stars working their way back to fitness, especially in World Cup year. “We’re still hopeful that Cian may have an involvement as well,” said Schmidt. “Cian looks in great shape; he’s just got to hit a few markers to finish off his full recovery. “Because one thing we don’t want to do is to have someone reinjure themselves and therefore put themselves out for an extended period of time. “So we’re very much Six Nations-focused but it’s a massive year, and what we can’t afford to do is worsen a situation for a player with an injury.” Schmidt moved to allay fears surrounding the severity of scrum-half Conor Murray’s neck problem, tipping the Munster half-back to recover in time to face the Italians. Murray has disc trouble in his neck, but Schmidt believes this has been caused by bruising and swelling: if both subside in time, the British Lions playmaker should be ready to start the tournament. “Conor is feeling really good, we’re quietly confident,” said Schmidt. “He’s got a few more things to tick off and he will be scanned again by the end of the week. “And by Monday we’d like to have a clear picture so we can have uninterrupted preparation for Italy, but at the moment we’re hopeful he’ll be okay. “If you get bruising, bruising causes swelling, and swelling causes discomfort. “That’s a layman’s view of what Conor has got presently, so we’re hopeful that will dissipate, and has dissipated over a period of time since it first happened.”
SAN JOSE, Costa Rica, (CMC) – St Kitts and Nevis suffered a heavy defeat in their opening game of the CONCACAF Under-20 Championship here Saturday when they crashed to a 5-1 defeat to Haiti here Saturday.Competing in Group B of the competition, the Kittitians conceded two goals in the first half and despite hitting back in the second half, they failed to muster any significant challenge in the end.The defeat left St Kitts bottom of the group without a point with Haiti top with three points, ahead on goal difference of Panama who edged United States 1-0 in the other game.St Kitts were behind as early as the fourth minute courtesy of a defensive error when Xavier French bungled a clearance, allowing Jimmy-Shammar Sanon to finish from close range.Bryan Chevreuil doubled the lead in the 24th minute with a brilliant solo effort and a clinical volley from just inside the 18-yard box, a goal that gave Haiti a 2-0 lead at half-time.There was no relenting after the break as Alessandro Campoy added a third in the 49th minute but St Kitts then halted the flood of goals with one of their own when Javier Sutton headed home five minutes later.However, it proved only a temporary reprieve as Jonel Desire tucked in the fourth in the 86th minute before Ronaldo Damus added an injury time goal, to cap an emphatic win.
AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterShare to MoreAddThisALPENA, Mich. — A registered sex offender from Hillman confessed to another sex crime. Marc Whitney plead guilty on Monday and will serve a minimum of 4 to 20 years in prison.The Huron Undercover Narcotics Team concluded their three month investigation into Whitney possessing child sexually abusive material. He also admitted to using a computer to commit a crime.In 2018, parents reported that girls between the ages of 10 and 16 received requests to follow Whitney — a local sex offender — on social media. Whitney violated the sex offender registry act and was previously convicted of criminal sexual conduct involving a minor.AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterShare to MoreAddThisContinue ReadingPrevious Police shutdown Indian River man’s meth labNext Upcoming trivia fundraiser to support child victims of abuse
Imprisonment or probation? Former World Boxing Champion Adnan Catic, also known as Felix Sturm, will find out on fate on Thursday, Bild reports.The Cologne prosecutor’s office is seeking three years and three months in prison for a German fighter of Bosnian origin for tax evasion and anti-doping violations, Avaz news portal writes.Disputed paymentAccording to prosecutor Renke Hogendorn (Hoogendoorn), Catic damaged the state for a million euros in unpaid tax. Initially, the former middleweight professional champion was charged with evasion of 5.8 million Euros.His lawyers argued that Sturm received the disputed money as a loan from a Swiss marketing company.Adnan himself added that he agreed to an annual payout regardless of boxing matches.After eight and a half months in custody, the famous fighter, who was born and lives in Germany, was released in late December to defend himself on 300,000 euros bail.Catic was arrested on April 5ththis year in Cologne during a visit to the FIBO fitness fair and was arrested by police on charges of tax evasion.The court denied him a request for release on bail of one million euros, and was recently charged with evading taxes of seven million euros.If the allegations turn out to be true, Catic will face up to several years in prison, given that had suspended sentence of 22 months in 2012 for tax evasion.Catic, who fights under the alias Felix Sturm, was a world champion in his career with a score of 40 wins, five losses and three draws.On February 20th, 2016, Catic had the last fight in Oberhausen against Fjodor Cudinov after which he was positive on the forbidden substance.He broke the silence two months later with a post which he shared via Instagram where he complained about being treated unfairly by the doping investigators. Sturm wrote that he was only informed two months after the first doping sample about the results and that he wasn’t told why it took longer than usual (two weeks).After engaging a lawyer who requested all the required documents from the investigators he noticed that the last page was missing, “…where is written, when my sample arrived at the laboratory, who received it and who analysed the sample.”, it was written in that social media post. He allegedly didn’t get an answer after submitting further inquiries and was denied the right to let the b-sample be analysed by another laboratory. Sturm claimed that the WBA refrained from suspending him because of these irregularities.But, after almost three years Catic has proved his innocence and he is preparing for a great return.Catic is a five-time world champion in two weight classes, having held the WBO middleweight title from 2003 to 2004, the WBA middleweight title twice between 2006 and 2012, the IBF middleweight title from 2013 to 2014, and the WBA (Super) super-middleweight title in 2016.
1 The bizarre reason why Man United didn’t sign new Liverpool playmaker Minamino Top nine Premier League free transfers of the decade blunder Where every Premier League club needs to strengthen in January IN DEMAND William Carvalho’s agent has organised showdown talks with Sporting Lisbon amid interest from Everton and Inter.The midfielder wants to have his contract terminated this summer following an incident involving supporters in May. Man United joined by three other clubs in race for Erling Haaland Tony Cascarino backs Everton to sign two strikers for Carlo Ancelotti Carvalho, along with other members of the Sporting squad, were attacked by fans at their training ground and he now wants to leave.The 26-year-old is attracting interest from the Premier League and Serie A clubs, with both keen to nab him for free.So far, though, Sporting have refused to play ball and the Portugal international’s future is unclear.As a result, according to A Bola, Carvalho’s agent has now called for talks with the club.The pair are hoping to meet next week so that a decision can be made in time for the end of the World Cup on July 15. targets LATEST TRANSFER NEWS William Carvalho’s could leave Sporting Lisbon this summer Arsenal transfer news LIVE: Ndidi bid, targets named, Ozil is ‘skiving little git’ LATEST RANKED targets