Saudi ArabiaMiddle East – North Africa Condemning abusesProtecting journalists Imprisoned News to go further Saudi Arabia announced its decision to abolish flogging on 26 April in an attempt to bring itself more into line with international human rights standards. RSF_en NSO Group hasn’t kept its promises on human rights, RSF and other NGOs say “Knowing that all remaining flogging sessions have been cancelled and not just postponed will be an enormous relief but Raif Badawi continues to be subjected to a living hell and still has two more years to serve in prison,” said Sabrina Bennoui, the head of RSF’s Middle East desk. “As he approaches the end of his eighth year in detention on 18 June, releasing him as well as all the other journalists arbitrarily detained would allow Saudi Arabia to move forward with these reforms.” Even more disturbingly, his contacts with the outside world are infrequent and often interrupted. His wife, Ensaf Haidar, says that he told her during a phone call two weeks ago that he would henceforth be allowed to contact her twice a week. But she has not heard from him since then. Their most recent previous phone call was in February. RSF joins Middle East and North Africa coalition to combat digital surveillance Information about his conditions in detention are vague and contradictory. According to leaks, he was placed in isolation last December and was taken to hospital in March because he was on a hunger strike. But the Saudi authorities and prison officials have never confirmed or denied these reports. News Reporters Without Borders (RSF) is relieved by Saudi Arabia’s abolition of flogging, one of the punishments to which Raif Badawi, a blogger jailed in 2012, was sentenced. Badawi nonetheless continues to be detained and has already served eight of the ten years in prison to which he was also sentenced. April 28, 2021 Find out more April 29, 2020 Raif Badawi spared 950 lashes after Saudi decision to abolish flogging June 8, 2021 Find out more Organisation Receive email alerts News Saudi Arabia is ranked 170th out of 180 countries in RSF’s 2020 World Press Freedom Index. Help by sharing this information Saudi media silent on RSF complaint against MBS News Saudi ArabiaMiddle East – North Africa Condemning abusesProtecting journalists Imprisoned Follow the news on Saudi Arabia The decision directly affects Badawi, who will now be spared the remaining 950 of the 1,000 lashes to which he was sentenced on a charge of insulting Islam. He received the first 50 lashes in April 2015 and was due to receive the next 50 lashes in June of the same year. But the second and subsequent sessions were postponed under international pressure. March 9, 2021 Find out more
By News Highland – August 16, 2017 Publicans in Republic watching closely as North reopens further Twitter Pinterest WhatsApp Pinterest Emotional day for leaving cert students – Principal Community Enhancement Programme open for applications The Education Minister has denied that the Leaving Cert has been dumbed down with the new points system.Under the new scheme, students don’t fail if they get between 30 and 40 percent.13 pupils got eight H1s – equivalent to full marks, almost twice the number that got 8 A1s last year.Fiona Temple is Principal of Mulroy College in Milford.She says the full impact of the change in the grading system will fully emerge next week when the first round of CAO offers is made.She says as ever, results day is an emotional one in the school………Audio Playerhttp://www.highlandradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/fionatemple1pm.wav00:0000:0000:00Use Up/Down Arrow keys to increase or decrease volume. News RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Google+ Twitter Loganair’s new Derry – Liverpool air service takes off from CODA Facebook Arranmore progress and potential flagged as population grows Facebook Google+ Important message for people attending LUH’s INR clinic Previous articleProgress on A6 Derry to Belfast road upgradeNext articleIreland won’t be used as pawn in Brexit negotiations – Coveney News Highland WhatsApp Renewed calls for full-time Garda in Kilmacrennan
Britvic is to launch a £1m summer marketing campaign to push sales of its Lipton Ice Tea brand. The drink fits into the ’Cold Hot Drink’ category, which Britvic said is the fastest-growing sub-category, up 123% in volume (data: Nielsen Scantrack Total Coverage MAT 16.04.11).Jon Evans, head of seed brands at Britvic, said the soft drinks manufacturer is convinced that this category is on the up. He said that despite the fact Lipton is a brand that’s driving some of the growth in this category, there is a perception barrier, which stops consumers initially trying the drink. To try and conquer this, the main thrust of Britvic’s Lipton Ice Tea campaign is sampling, hence the ’Don’t knock it, until you’ve tried it’ strapline.From this month, Britvic has been sending out its Lipton Ice Tea team around the country, handing out one million samples to consumers. The second part of its direct-to-consumer activity will see Britvic set up ’knokkers’ games and sampling stations around nine of the UK’s largest city centres and parks. Each day the best Lipon Ice Tea ambassadors, found via sampling, will be awarded £250-worth of Red Letter Day vouchers.Britvic said the growth of ice tea has doubled in the past few years, with Lipton growing at 93% year-on-year. Lipton Ice Tea is available in a 500ml PET in lemon and peach flavours
Coal expansion in Turkey hits headwinds, 70GW canceled or delayed since 2009 FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享Platts:Turkey’s plans to expand its thermal coal-fired power plant fleet have largely fallen by the wayside as the country grapples with a combination of economic and social headwinds, clouding what otherwise would have been one of the Atlantic market’s few bright spots for demand.An estimated 70 GW of planned capacity has either been cancelled or indefinitely postponed since 2009, leaving the country with 85 operating coal-fired power plants and a total operating capacity of 19 GW, according to a review of the Turkish government data and web sources. An additional 33 GW is under various stages of planning, with only 2 GW under construction.“There are quite a number of projects that will never see daylight,” a Turkish utility source said. “The ones that will burn imported hard coals are definitely dead due to diminishing availability of soft loans and Turkey’s strong policy for decreasing the current account deficit.”President Recep Erdogan’s strategy to shift utility purchases away from imported thermal coal toward domestic lignite, due to the impact energy imports are having on Turkey’s balance of trade, had been expected to fuel domestic plant construction near lignite mines, the utility source said. But the policy appears to have ground to a halt, as proposed lignite projects have been halted by strong environmentalist opposition.“With Turkey’s economy likely to contract in CY 19 and grow only slightly in CY 20, electricity demand and coal imports should continue to be limited,” Platts Analytics said.Joe Aldina at Platts Analytics said: “Some slowing in Turkey’s imports was more or less the consensus view for 2019. But there was a longer-term expectation that Turkey would be one of the few bright spots for coal demand growth in the Atlantic Basin and a number of coal sellers, particularly from the US, were looking to Turkey as an outlet for production as European imports slow (and domestic US coal demand falls). New tariffs on US coal implemented this year dash the short-term hopes of sending more US coal to Turkey, but there was still the hope that Turkey could be a longer-term partner for US suppliers.”More: Turkish coal-fired plant expansion stalls, with 70 GW shelved since 2009
By Dialogo June 24, 2009 Five years after its first outing, the â€œDinosaurs of Argentinaâ€œexhibition has arrived Serbia, at the Continental Hotel in New Belgrade. In the middle of the most attractive exhibits are the complete skeletons of seven dinosaurs, including a 14-meter-long giganotosaurus from the Cretaceous period and a 17-meter long rebbachisaurus, an herbivore from the similar period. Buenos Aires, 23 June (EFE).- A search ship confirmed that the cargo of 9.5 tons of gold and silver carried by the Chilean fishing boat Polar Mist remained in its hold, five months after it sank in the Atlantic, off the southern coast of Argentina, the Buenos Aires press reported today. The discovery put an end to suspicions that the shipment, valued at around 19 million dollars, had been stolen shortly before the mysterious sinking of the fishing boat at the eastern entrance to the Strait of Magellan, some forty kilometers from the Argentine coast. A submersible with video cameras operated remotely from the ship C-Sailor determined that the Polar Mist was around eighty meters down, without major damage, and with its cargo intact, sources connected to the recovery operation told Clarín and La Nación daily newspapers. They indicated that the Vanuatu-flagged C-Sailor had been working in the area of the shipwreck for the last week and that an operation with divers and equipment was now being prepared to recover the shipment of gold, which belongs to mining firms of South African, Canadian, and Argentine ownership. The Polar Mist is “on its belly” on the ocean floor, with all its compartments closed and with light damage attributable to the impacts suffered upon sinking, the sources indicated. The search ship is crewed by personnel from the Dutch recovery firm Mammoet, contracted by the London insurer Lloyds, and members of the coastal police of the Argentine province of Santa Cruz, who are acting as observers. The Chilean fishing boat, which had been refitted to carry cargo, ran aground in unexplained circumstances on January 18, following a storm at the entrance to the Strait of Magellan, which joins the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans at the southern tip of the American continent. Two days later, the Chilean tugboat Beagle found the Polar Mist without visible damage and took it under tow in order to bring it to Río Gallegos, the capital of Santa Cruz, but had to release it once it became evident that the ship was starting to sink. The Polar Mist’s eight Chilean crew members were safely rescued by an Argentine naval helicopter and taken to Río Gallegos. Almost two months ago, an expedition that planned to recover the shipment was frustrated after the insurance company and two Argentine maritime unions failed to agree on the amount of money that would be paid as a reward. Cerro Vanguardia, controlled by the South African firm Anglo Gold with minority participation by the Argentine state firm Formicruz, had filed a claim for the payment of 16.4 million dollars for the loss of 6.9 tons of the gold shipment that the Chilean ship was carrying. Another 2.6 tons of ingots of unrefined gold and silver belongs to Triton Argentina, a subsidiary of the Canadian firm Pan American Silver, which also has Formicruz as a minority partner.
In order to help stop illegal smuggling of drugs, money and people throughout Central America, the navies from many countries including the United States and the Netherlands, are working jointly toward this end. As part of the international effort to improve security and stability in the region, the Netherlands Navy ship HNLMS Rotterdam deployed to the Caribbean Sea in early May 2011, to patrol the coast of Central America. The Rotterdam will remain on this effort until the summer, when Netherlands Navy ship Johan de Witt, her sister ship, arrives to relieve her. HNLMS Rotterdam is a Landing Platform Dock- class amphibious ship equipped with a large helicopter dock, a deck for large landing craft, an operation theater and a complete Class II hospital on board. The lead ship of the Royal Netherlands Navy was launched in 1997. By Dialogo May 13, 2011
In today’s turbulent environment, every organization – including financial institutions – is susceptible to disruption.Disruptive innovation is an intuitive concept, mostly because we’ve seen the recent casualties of disruption: Kodak, Blockbuster, Borders and Blackberry. Most of us want to avoid a similar fate ourselves, or better yet, reap the benefits associated with being the disruptor. Netflix, Amazon and Apple are prime examples. Disruptive innovation – or avoiding it – is now a widely embraced business imperative.The biggest competitive threats no longer come from within the industry. They’re the emerging players, technologies and alternative business models that seemingly crop up from out of nowhere.In the payments industry, there are numerous potential disruptions on the horizon that ride the trends of peer-to-peer lending, crowdfunding and fund raising. Companies like Lending Club, Indiegogo and GoFundMe tap into these trends and are starting to chip away at traditional models. Mobile payment platforms and alternative currencies like Bitcoin also create entirely new consumer experiences around transactions and represent cracks in the tried and true business models of yesterday. continue reading » 2SHARESShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblr
Area Boys & Girls Basketball ScoresSaturday (12-9)Boys ScoresBrownstown 72 South Ripley 42Plainfield 49 Batesville 44South Dearborn 56 Franklin County 45Milan 84 Waldron 39Edinburgh 50 North Decatur 49Indian Creek 70 Oldenburg 43SW Hanover 50 Carroll County 40Franklin 79 Hauser 64Rushville 66 Blue River 47Pendleton Heights 33 Connersville 30 (OT)Girls ScoresEast Central 69 South Dearborn 33South Ripley 54 Franklin County 22Jac-Cen-Del 72 Morristown 51Edinburgh 50 Milan 45Greensburg 80 Rushville 45Lawrenceburg 56 Connersville 49Switz. County 50 Shawe Memorial 45Triton Central 56 SW Shelby 39
photo © Tipp FM Three Irish boxers take to the ring at the European Championships in the Ukraine today.Super heavyweight Clonmel’s Dean Gardiner and Lightweight Sean McComb and s are both in action in the early afternoon session.And then in the late afternoon session, Olympian Brendan Irvine enters the ring in the Men’s Flyweight division.
Real Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti believes star Cristiano Ronaldo’s hamstring injury is not serious.Ronaldo came off at half-time of Real’s 1-1 draw at home to Atletico Madrid in the Supercopa de Espana first leg after being largely anonymous on Tuesday. While further tests are required, Ancelotti said the 29-year-old Portuguese attacker should be OK. “He felt something and was uncomfortable. We’ll evaluate it tomorrow,” Ancelotti said. “Apparently, it was not serious.” James Rodriguez, who replaced Ronaldo, put the hosts in control of the tie with his 81st-minute goal. But Raul Garcia levelled for Atletico, who are well-placed heading into Friday’s second leg at the Vicente Calderon. Ancelotti believes a similar performance should be enough for Real to win the trophy. “Atletico do have an advantage for the second leg since now we have to score at the Vicente Calderon,” the Italian said. “If we play like we did tonight we will win the Super Cup. “The team played well. We didn’t have a huge amount of pace in the first half but we improved in the second half. “We controlled the game pressing up front. Our midfielders were really good.” Ancelotti, who said he had decided on his first-choice goalkeeper for the season, rued the mistake made by his team for Atletico’s equaliser. Koke’s corner was flicked in by Garcia, who was unmarked just yards from goal and in front of Iker Casillas. “We made a mistake on a dead-ball situation,” he said. “We did not cover the front post well and Iker had no chance to do anything in that situation because he had a player in front of him.”