AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterShare to MoreAddThisALPENA, Mich. — A registered sex offender from Hillman confessed to another sex crime. Marc Whitney plead guilty on Monday and will serve a minimum of 4 to 20 years in prison.The Huron Undercover Narcotics Team concluded their three month investigation into Whitney possessing child sexually abusive material. He also admitted to using a computer to commit a crime.In 2018, parents reported that girls between the ages of 10 and 16 received requests to follow Whitney — a local sex offender — on social media. Whitney violated the sex offender registry act and was previously convicted of criminal sexual conduct involving a minor.AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterShare to MoreAddThisContinue ReadingPrevious Police shutdown Indian River man’s meth labNext Upcoming trivia fundraiser to support child victims of abuse
Manchester City boss Manuel Pellegrini praised his young players after their 5-1 defeat at Chelsea in the FA Cup.Pellegrini fielded a vastly under-strength team, giving full debuts to five players in the fifth-round clash at Stamford Bridge.And they caused some problems for Chelsea before the hosts scored four times in the second half to clinch a quarter-final place.“In the first half we played very well and it was a very tight game,” Pellegrini said. “We played with six young players and I’m very happy with them.“It is important for young players to take their chance when they play, and I was very happy with that.“Unfortunately for us, in five minutes we threw away what we did and at 3-1 it was very difficult.“It is never good to lose 5-1, so I am not so happy about that. But there were a lot of positives.”Pellegrini, whose team play Dynamo Kiev in the Champions League on Wednesday, was unrepentant when asked about his team selection.“I always take the best decision for the club,” he said.See also:Hiddink praises players after Chelsea winChelsea thrash City to reach quarter-finalsChelsea v Man City player ratings’World class’ Hazard suffered dip in confidence – CahillFollow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebook
Mike Mayock and Antonio Brown may not know it, but after their now-public infight at practice Wednesday, they are now members of a fairly exclusive confederacy:Bay Area management-athlete dust-ups.Disclaimer: The following roll call is not comprehensive, nor listed in chronological order:1. Steve Mariucci vs. Terrell Owens Owens was a supremely talented receiver who also was a supreme pain. Mariucci, the 49ers coach, was already bristling over Owens’ antics when, on Sept. 24, …
Normal life remained affected in Kashmir for the 80th consecutive day on Wednesday with main markets shut and public transport off the roads, officials said. Some shops opened for a few hours early in the morning in some areas, including in the commercial hub of Lal Chowk in the city here, but downed their shutters around 11 am, they said. The officials said main markets and other business establishments were however shut. Private transport was plying and the number of vehicles was higher than Sunday, leading to traffic jams at various spots in the city, they said. Auto-rickshaws and a few inter-district cabs were also seen plying in some areas of the Valley, they added. However, the other modes of public transport were off the roads. There was huge rush of private vehicles in some areas of the city, including commercial hub of Lal Chowk and Jehangir Chowk, causing massive traffic jams in some areas, prompting authorities to press in more police personnel to regulate the movement of the vehicles, the officials said. Internet services — across all platforms — continued to be snapped in the Valley, they said.Schools and colleges were open, but students stayed away as parents continued to keep their wards at home due to apprehensions about their safety, the officials said.Also Read J&K lockdown: why govt has still not produced orders concerned, asks SC While landline and postpaid mobile phone services have been restored across the Valley, all internet services continue to remain suspended since August 5 when the Centre announced its decision to abrogate Article 370 of the Constitution and divide the state into two union territories. Most of the top level and second rung separatist politicians have been taken into preventive custody while mainstream leaders, including two former chief ministers — Omar Abdullah and Mehbooba Mufti, have been either detained or placed under house arrest. Another former chief minister and sitting Lok Sabha MP from Srinagar Farooq Abdullah has been arrested under the controversial Public Safety Act, a law enacted by his father and National Conference founder Sheikh Mohammad Abdullah in 1978 when he was the chief minister.
AC Milan midfielder Bakayoko: Chelsea must decide my futureby Carlos Volcano10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveAC Milan midfielder Tiemoue Bakayoko doesn’t expect a decision about his future at Chelsea until June.Bakayoko has shone over last month for Milan after a difficult start to the season.After victory over SPAL, the midfielder said: “I do not think anything special has changed. I continued to train and work hard and when you do so things change. I’m happy because I’m playing well with the team. “The future? I’m happy here but it’s not my decision, it’s the club and Chelsea. At the end of the season we will talk to understand what to do.” TagsTransfersLoan MarketAbout the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your say
The Kahta Creek fire is burning approximately five kilometres south of another 6.5 hectare fire next to the Alaska Highway north of Buckinghorse River. While firefighters have completely surrounded the smaller fire with hoses, the Kahta Creek fire is currently uncontained, and has burned over 1,000 hectares. Reynolds said that the fire is currently burning in an easterly direction away from the Alaska Highway and not threatening any properties.The Milligan Hills fire, which is around 10 kilometres west of Milligan Hills Provincial Park, has also grown to over 1,000 hectares, though it is also not currently threatening structures at this time. Reynolds said that the Wildfire Service has made a request for two Incident Management Teams to be brought in to Fort St. John to deal with those two fires, which are the largest fires during near Fort St. John.A Conair Aerial Firefighting Avro RJ85 air tanker at the North Peace Airport. Photo by Chris NewtonCrews are also planning to begin attack operations on the Beatton River fire, which is located northwest of Prespatou near Nig Creek and has grown to around 500 hectares in size. Reynolds said that the fire has grown quickly because of windy conditions and the large amount of fuel in the area. Reynolds added that while several fires have grown quickly in size in the past few days, the current situation is much less dire than two years ago, since none of the fires are currently threatening any property. She said that crews are prepared for an anticipated spike in fire activity over the next month, as forecasters are calling for the usual pattern of increased thunderstorm activity heading into June. The Peace River Regional District also announced on its website this morning that it is currently monitoring the situation. It says that no evacuation alerts and no evacuation orders have been issued at this time, but that updates will be posted on the PRRD’s website and Facebook page. FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. — The BC Wildfire Service will be bringing in more crews today to respond to a number of fires that flared up north of Fort St. John on Tuesday.Amanda Reynolds, Fire Information Officer with the Prince George Fire Centre, says that hot and windy conditions on Tuesday helped to fan the flames of several spot fires sparked by lightning over the weekend. Reynolds explained that two fires in particular have ballooned in size since Tuesday, when their smoke plumes were first noticed by fire crews from the air.A map showing the locations of wildfires burning north of Fort St. John. Photo by BC Wildfire Service.
New Delhi: The government has asked tech giants Google and Apple to comply with the Madras High Court’s order that had banned popular mobile app TikTok, according to sources.Sources said instructions in this regard were sent to the two American companies on Monday after the Supreme Court refused to stay the April 3 order of Madras High Cout that had directed the Centre to ban Tiktok app over concerns about access to pornographic content through it. Also Read – Uddhav bats for ‘Sena CM’E-mails sent to Apple and Google did not elicit a response. On Monday, the Supreme Court said the ban directive was just an interim order and that the high court is scheduled to hear the matter on April 16. In its April 3 order, the Madras HC said it was evident from media reports that pornography and inappropriate content were made available through such mobile applications. It had also directed the media not to telecast video clips made with TikTok. The app, which is owned by Chinese company ByteDance, allows users to create short videos and then share them. In a statement on Tuesday, TikTok said it has faith in the Indian judicial system. “We are optimistic about an outcome that would allow over 120 million monthly active users in India to continue using TikTok to showcase their creativity and capture moments that matter in their everyday lives,” it said.
New Delhi: Lenders to Jet Airways are talking about ways to restore the crisis-hit carrier and new funds are likely to be infused shortly, officials said on Tuesday.Amid acute financial crunch crippling its operations, Jet Airways management is awaiting clarity on receiving new funds after which a decision would be taken on continuing operations. “Discussions for reviving the airline are underway, and nothing has been finalised as of now,” Punjab National Bank Managing Director and CEO Sunil Mehta told reporters here. Also Read – India gets first tranche of Swiss bank a/c detailsRepresentatives of various lenders to Jet Airways are also understood to have discussed issues related to Jet Airways with Financial Services Secretary Rajiv Kumar. Jet Airways has a debt burden of more than Rs 8,000 crore. SBI Capital Markets has the mandate for Jet Airways sale on behalf of the SBI-led consortium of the domestic lenders to the debt-ridden private carrier. A senior government official said that funding for Jet Airways from lenders is likely to come through. Also Read – Tourists to be allowed in J&K from ThursdayThe board of the full-service carrier, which is currently operating less than ten aircraft, met in Mumbai on Tuesday. On Monday, lenders did not take a final decision on providing emergency funds to the cash-strapped carrier. Another government official said that approaching the National Company Law Tribunal (NCLT) for Jet Airways is not an option at this stage. “Right now, the lenders are trying to resolve the issue by seeking bidders for investment. This is not the time for lenders to approach NCLT for resolution,” the official said. Creditors can take a defaulting company to the NCLT for seeking approval for resolution under the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code (IBC). Earlier in the day, sources said Jet Airways founder Naresh Goyal has decided not to bid for acquiring a stake in the cash-strapped airline.
Welcome to the latest episode of Hot Takedown, our podcast where the hot sports takes of the week meet the numbers that prove them right or tear them down. On this week’s show (Feb. 16, 2016), we take a look at parity in men’s college basketball and the lack thereof on the women’s side, we wonder about the state of defense in the NBA All-Star Game and ask whether it’s always been this way, and we discuss whether the Los Angeles Angels should trade star player Mike Trout. Plus, a Significant Digit on Max Hooper, the Oakland University senior guard who shoots only threes.Stream the episode by clicking the play button, or subscribe using one of the podcast clients we’ve linked to above. Links to what we discussed are here:Ben Morris ranks every NBA All-Star.Neil Paine and Jonah Keri on how to build a great baseball team.Mike Trout wasn’t last season’s MVP, but he might be the G.O.A.T.Why baseball farm systems are important.Kate Fagan tells the Los Angeles Angels why they should trade Mike Trout if they get a haul in return.Significant Digit: 206. That’s the number of 3-point attempts by Oakland guard Max Hooper this year. He hasn’t tried a single 2-pointer.Max Hooper shooting bombs. More: Apple Podcasts | ESPN App | RSS Hot Takedown If you’re a fan of our podcasts, be sure to subscribe on Apple Podcasts and leave a rating/review. That helps spread the word to other listeners. And get in touch by email, on Twitter or in the comments. Tell us what you think, send us hot takes to discuss and tell us why we’re wrong.
Ohio State freshman forward Kyle Young (25), freshman forward Kaleb Wesson (34) and junior guard C.J. Jackson (3) defend Wooster forward Alex Baptiste on his drive to the net in an exhibition game on Nov. 5, 2017 at the Schottenstein Center. Credit: Jacob Myers | Managing Editor for ContentPages of predictions for Ohio State’s season line the walls of assistant coach Ryan Pedon’s office. Those pages outline another rough campaign looming for the Buckeyes in Chris Holtmann’s first season at the helm despite the new coaching staff and trio of talented freshmen — four-star forwards Kaleb Wesson and Kyle Young and three-star forward Musa Jallow — joining Ohio State. The shake-ups are not enough to make people forget the worst season under former head coach Thad Matta, in which the Buckeyes finished 17-15 (7-11 Big Ten). “I think you only have to open a college basketball preseason magazine and read where we’re picked. 12, 13, 14, 11 [in the Big Ten],” Holtmann told The Lantern in October. “It’s all over, but it’s near the bottom.”Rather than ignore the predictions of a down year for Ohio State, the players and coaches are embracing the underdog mentality. “I think it’s hard to not be aware of [the predictions],” sophomore center Micah Potter said Wednesday. “But at the same time, you know we use it a little bit as motivation. Coach brings that up a little bit saying, ‘Hey, look guys. You know these teams are saying this is the time to get Ohio State.’ And this just kind of adds fuel to the fire.”But are the predictions wrong? Will the Buckeyes really surprise people and have a standout season?Perhaps they will. Perhaps won’t. Holtmann admitted Wednesday that the Buckeyes are “in the process of rebuilding our roster.”Ohio State has plenty of depth at forward with redshirt junior Keita Bates-Diop and senior Jae’Sean Tate returning to the Buckeyes’ starting lineup. In the Buckeyes’ exhibition game, the pair combined for 27 points and went 9-for-15 from the field. After missing the majority of last season with a stress fracture in his left leg, Bates-Diop shook off the rest and led the team with 17 points and nine rebounds. Returning for a healthy 2017-18 season, after receiving a medical redshirt, he could help provide the Buckeyes with a steady presence in the post while he mans the power forward position.Tate, the team’s leading scorer from a season ago, should once again be expected to be one of the Buckeyes’ offensive leaders. Holtmann and his staff will likely lean heavily on those two players. The Buckeyes will enter the season as a young, inexperienced team that lost three of its top four scorers from last season. Knowing that, Holtmann told The Lantern that Tate and Bates-Diop are the only known starters heading into the season.“After that, I’m still trying to figure out where to go from there,” Holtmann said. “I think we have multiple guys that can play and I think we’ll have a fairly fluid starting lineup throughout the year. That happens when you have eight to 10 guys that can potentially all start a game for you, or you have an injury or two.”Tate in particular could be relied upon more heavily than most other players due to the team’s lack of depth at point guard. The only natural point guard on the roster is junior C.J. Jackson, and the remainder of the guards on scholarship are shooting guards. Holtmann said Tate was a player who could be asked to provide Ohio State with another option at the one. Graduate transfer Andrew Dakich was another player listed as someone who will be asked to man the point for the Buckeyes. Jackson did not have a strong showing in the exhibition game against Wooster. He finished 1-for-11 — 0-for-6 from 3-point range — and only had four assists. Holtmann said Jackson has good feel for the position and will enter the year as the likely starter at the position, but that he will need to work on keeping his emotions in check during the game.Guard is the thinnest position for Ohio State, but the rest of the team’s depth will come down to how well the trio of exciting freshmen perform. Freshmen Kaleb Wesson, Kyle Young and Musa Jallow will all be counted on to play meaningful minutes for the Buckeyes, Holtmann said, even if they might not initially be counted on as starters. Young and Jallow will both provide the Buckeyes with versatile players capable of playing at both the forward and guard positions, though both are more natural forwards.Wesson, on the other hand, could quickly emerge as a candidate for starting minutes. The highest-rated commit in Ohio State’s 2017 class is a natural scorer and will compete with Potter at the center position. Against Wooster, Wesson was one of the more electrifying players for Ohio State, posting 16 points (5-for-8 from the field) and seven rebounds. Though he provided the Buckeyes with a glimpse of the bright future that could be in store for the freshman forward, he also demonstrated some struggles defensively and fouled out.There are several question marks pertaining to depth and expected performance. The uncertainty surrounding the team does not bode well for a team hoping to surprise some people. With a tough schedule facing No. 9 North Carolina, No. 18 Gonzaga and potentially No. 8 Florida, this young team could struggle against a lineup of high-quality opponents.With a promising young group of players and some returning core players from last year, Ohio State seems to be in a position to finish with a better record than last season, but an NIT appearance is more likely than a surprise NCAA Tournament bid.Having waited since June to see what the team will look like in the start of the Holtmann era, the Buckeyes are eager to get their first chance to show if they can prove any of the early predictions wrong and put together a strong season at 7 p.m. Friday at the Schottenstein Center. “Obviously there’s a lot of anticipation for this game. The new staff and pretty much new team,” Potter said. “It was good to be able to get out there and play hard and just see where we are. Obviously, Wooster is not the level of competition we’re going to be playing moving forward. But it was good to see us gel a little bit and see us make the little mistakes that we can fix very easily.”