Tag: 爱上海XO

Rebels seize Sizarail

first_imgTHE FUTURE for rail services that eke out a precarious existence in Zaire looks bleaker than ever following news early last month that Laurent Kabila’s opposition forces had shut down Sizarail, the operating company owned 51% by the Comazar consortium formed of South Africa’s Transnet and Belgium’s Transurb, and 49% by the Zaire government.Sizarail had succeeded in restoring life to the virtually moribund lines on which the country relies to move copper and other mineral exports. Ten years ago Zaire National Railways was carrying about 4 million tonnes of freight a year, but by 1993 barely half a million tonnes was moved. Sizarail has since succeeded in reducing wagon turnround times and improving reliability, but invasion of its Lubumbashi headquarters by armed troops, seizure of its assets and expulsion of its Belgian managing director threatens an instant return to decline.With South Africa trying hard to arrange a peaceful deal between the forces of Kabila and those of President Mobutu, a channel exists for contact between Transnet and the rebels. Transnet Executive Director Mafika Mkwanazi is hoping that a deal will be reached with a future government in Zaire to allow operations to resume – he said on May 7 that Kabila’s forces would not be able to manage Zaire’s railways without outside help. Rebel forces apparently requested a meeting with South African rail experts during May, so there is some ground for hope. The biggest danger is that civil war between Kabila’s forces and those of President Mobutu will destroy what remains of Zaire’s railways. olast_img read more

LIQUOR BAN LIFTED BUT… Drinking in public still not allowed – Treñas

first_img* drinking in public places isprohibited Treñas, however, did not say how thecity government could limit number of people on a drinking binge in theirhomes, or even ensure that they are observing social distancing. People buying liquor must bring thisstraight to their homes and consume this there, according to Treñas. * 77-year-old female from Jaro (region’sPatient No. 48) The order lifting the liquor ban iscontained in Executive Order No. 66, series of 2020 release yesterday afternoon. He won’t hesitate to re-impose theliquor ban “if there are violations or abuses” to the conditions he set for itslifting, warned the mayor. Treñas also stressed the prohibitionon mass gatherings such as fiesta celebrations and similar activities remain ineffect. ILOILO City – Mayor Jerry Treñas haslifted the prohibition on the sale and consumption of liquor, an initial step towardthe gradual easing of enhanced community quarantine restrictions. He assuredthe public this won’t scale back the city government’s efforts to curb thespread of SARS-CoV-2, the virus which causes the coronavirus disease 2019(COVID-19). “Thissituation is new to us all. We have no experience in this regard so we need allthe help we can get from the experts,” said Treñas. * 44-year-old male from La Paz (region’sPatient No. 40) SOME SEMBLANCE OF NORMALCY. A man buys a bottle of beer at a store in La Paz, Iloilo City. Mayor Jerry Treñas has lifted the ban on the sale and consumption of liquor. However, drinking liquor in public remains prohibited while the city is under an enhanced community quarantine. IAN PAUL CORDERO/PN * 61-year-old from Mandurriao (region’sPatient No. 3), recovered Treñas said therewould still be restrictions on public transport, school classes and religiousgatherings, among others while quarantine rules and regulations are lifted instages or phases. “Violators would be arrested andcharged,” said Treñas. Iloilo City has been enjoying relativepeace under quarantine. The crime rate dropped, according to the ICPO. * social distancing must be observedat all times if and when alcoholic beverages are consumed * 59-year-old male fromMandurriao (region’s Patient No. 34) The mayor announced the liftingyesterday afternoon. He, however, imposed conditions. These were the following: But he said the city government’s PublicSafety and Transportation Management Office and Iloilo City Police Office(ICPO) would make sure no one drinks liquor in public. “Indisila mag-inum sa public places. Dira lang sila inum sa sulod sang ila balay,kag limitado lang ang tawo nga makaupod nila sa pag-inum,” he stressed. * 72-year-old male from Mandurriao (region’sPatient No. 11), died/PN “Iloilo Cityshould consider prepping for a phased reopening, and scaling back of the localgovernment unit’s (LGU) support for the economy. The phased reopening is astrategy that will protect the people from the (corona)virus while allowinglife to progressively return to normal, albeit a new normal,” according to theprofessors. He expressed confidence, too, that thelifting of the liquor ban won’t adversely affect the city’s peace and ordersituation. Treñas said the 8 a.m. to 5 a.m.curfew helped and this remains in effect. The mayor createdan ad-hoc committee to formulate and prescribe policies for the gradual liftingof the enhanced community quarantine. He forwarded to the committee the UPVprofessors’ proposed lockdown exit strategy. “Effective immediately, the selling ofany form of liquor or alcohol beverages, or any alcoholic drink containing aspecific percentage of alcohol by volume or weight which may be in the form ofwhisky, brandy, gin, rum, cordial, cocktail, wine, champagne, vermouth, basi,tuba, beer, sake, stout, ale and the like shall be allowed…,” it read. * 44-year-old male from Jaro (region’sPatient No. 17) As of yesterday, April 21, Iloilo Cityhad six confirmed COVID-19 cases. These were the following: On Monday, Treñas expressed intensionto startgradually easing quarantine measures by May 1. He welcomed the inputs ofprofessors from the University of the Philippines Visayas (UPV). last_img read more

United ‘make Fabregas bid’

first_img Press Association Sport understands the bid was submitted Monday evening Sydney time and thus so far there has been no response. If the deal did go through it would represent David Moyes’ first significant signing as United manager. United were heavily linked with the former Arsenal skipper earlier in the summer, although at the time Fabregas claimed his intention was to remain with Barcelona. Press Association Manchester United have submitted a £26million (30million euro) bid for Barcelona midfielder Cesc Fabregas.center_img Moyes then turned his attentions to Fabregas’ Barca team-mate Thiago Alcantara. At one point it seemed as though a deal for the Spain Under-21 star was nearing completion. However, at the 11th hour Pep Guardiola stepped in and Thiago has now agreed to join Bayern Munich. Fabregas does appear to be in a similar position to Thiago in that his World Cup place could come under threat if he does not play regularly for Barcelona following their £50million acquisition of Brazilian superstar Neymar. Barca are unlikely to let Fabregas go willingly, having nurtured the player through his formative years, only for Arsenal to sign him as a 16-year-old in 2003. Fabregas spent eight years with the Gunners, making 303 appearances and ending up as club captain, before returning to the Nou Camp in 2011. Though he has played 96 times in two seasons, including 60 league games, he has rarely featured in his preferred midfield role due to the performances of brilliant duo Xavi and Andres Iniesta. His forceful approach in central midfield is just what United are looking for following the retirement of Paul Scholes, continuing doubt over the career of Darren Fletcher and a belief amongst fans Brazilian Anderson will never fulfil the promise that earned him a big money move from FC Porto in 2007. When contacted by Press Association Sport about United’s reported bid for Fabregas, sources at Barcelona said the midfielder was not for sale. “The player is not transferable,” the source said. last_img read more