Facebook Twitter Google+ Terrel Hunt hasn’t played in a game since fracturing his fibula in Syracuse’s loss to Louisville on Oct. 3. And though Saturday’s spring game is, as SU head coach Scott Shafer put it, more of a practice, the quarterback is just happy to be playing football in the Carrier Dome in front of fans again. “I just feel more confident in knowing things because I just had a bunch of time to just look at coverages and study coverages and study and see everything,” Hunt, Syracuse’s starting quarterback, said. “I know our defense like the back of my hand.”Hunt said on Tuesday that he had no idea that the spring game would have a practice format with no score being kept until a reporter asked him, but noted he was just ready to just go out and play. He’s also expressed excitement about working with offensive coordinator Tim Lester, who was promoted the game after his injury occurred. Hunt didn’t shy away from saying that it’s beneficial for a quarterback to have a quarterback coach calling the shots.“We’re way further (along) than we were last year,” Hunt said. “And you can ask any player that. Every player knows their job and they do their job right. Last year we had a ton of plays we were trying to run and nobody knew exactly how to run them.”On Saturday, he hopes to make sure he gets the ball out of his hands with good timing. He wants to make sure the energy is up and hopes to stay in the pocket longer. AdvertisementThis is placeholder textLester has said he sees Hunt more as pocket passer than the run-centric quarterback he’s been viewed as in the past. “If we have a guy that can run, fantastic,” Lester said. “But he has to drop back, read coverage and make the throw.”He noted that it’s different this year to not work with former offensive coordinator George McDonald, who wasn’t a quarterback coach. He said McDonald couldn’t point out the little things like Hunt’s footwork that Lester sees instinctively. Hunt is using the spring to adapt to a new offense with a new mindset. He’s happy to finally be playing and not on the sideline or in the coaches box helping to call plays. The only thing holding him back is a sore leg. But he knows the only thing that will cure it is time.“It’s been a while,” Hunt said. “I can’t wait to be back.” Comments Published on April 2, 2015 at 11:36 pm Contact Sam: firstname.lastname@example.org | @SamBlum3
When Bryce Holmgren was hit by a Jessica Dreswick fastball earlier this season against Boston College, there was no fanfare, no display of pain or anguish.She tossed her bat toward Syracuse’s home dugout, spun on her heel and jogged to first base. It was nothing new for the Roland, Iowa, native, who leads the team with 12 hit by pitches.Holmgren paces Syracuse (18-17, 4-10 Atlantic Coast) in nearly every offensive category — first in hits (43), batting average (.434) and runs batted in (25) — and is the only player on the Orange to total more walks (20) than strikeouts (15). Part of the reason she is so adept at getting on base, Holmgren said, has been her patience in the batter’s box. It’s also led to her hit-by-pitch habit.“I try not to lean in, but also it just kind of happens,” Holmgren said. “Things in softball just happen so fast, you don’t really think too much about it. I just try to let it hit me.”After leading the team in hit by pitches last season with 11, Holmgren wasted no time in grabbing the team-lead this year, too. After getting plunked in six of the first nine games of the season, Holmgren started the year on base a lot, whether it was by choice or not.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textGetting hit by pitches is a relatively new trend for Holmgren, who said that she didn’t get hit a lot when she was younger. Even at Western Kentucky as a freshman in 2016, Holmgren was hit three times in 45 games. Only when she arrived at Syracuse did she start to get hit more. With 23 hit by pitches in 85 career games at SU, she’s developed a knack for reaching base unconventionally.Holmgren believes that her tendency to get hit stems from a few factors. As a left-handed batter, she said her right elbow at times hangs close to or over the plate when she’s in the box. Like Dreswick, most pitchers are right-handed. Holmgren often faces pitches on the inner-half of the plate to crowd her and sometimes pitchers lose control. Holmgren’s willingness to “take one for the team” is another factor that sets her apart in her propensity to get hit.“I wouldn’t consider it unlucky, I would consider it lucky,” head coach Mike Bosch said. “Honestly, we just want to get on base any way.”Holmgren’s consistency in reaching base was clear earlier this season when she broke the program record for consecutive games reaching base. Holmgren’s streak of 46 broke the previous record of 32 and has since ended, but the WKU-transfer has already begun a new one, reaching base in eight-consecutive games.Teammate Alicia Hansen has played 138 games for the Orange but has been hit by a pitch just once in her career. The reason, Hansen said, is because she’s “more inclined” than her teammates to move out of the way of pitches.“Bryce will stick her arm out for it,” Hansen said. “It’s funny, because sometimes she’ll get hit and the umpire will call her back, and then she’ll get a hit, and the joke’s on you. You should want her to just get walked because you might be giving up extra bases if you pull her back.”With the Syracuse offense struggling to find consistent sources of power and contact hitting alike, Holmgren has been the lone source of consistency throughout the season. Her batting average has dipped slightly since beginning the year, but her on-base percentage still leads the conference.Holmgren has remained steady getting on base all season long, even if it’s not in the most conventional way.“One of our mottos is ‘find a way,’ so if you’re up, find a way on,” Hansen said. “No matter whether you bunt, get hit by a pitch, dropped third strike … taking one for the team sure, because it’s a baserunner that could mean a lot.” Comments Facebook Twitter Google+ Published on April 10, 2018 at 7:43 am Contact Eric: email@example.com | @esblack34
Deng and Maker are from the South Sudan, which became an independent country in 2011. While the Sudan is one of the seven Muslim-laden countries included in Trump’s immigration ban, the South Sudan is not on the list. Many top basketball prospects are from the South Sudan, not the Sudan.Before a federal court in New York issued a ruling to suspend Trump’s order to ban, NBA spokesman Mike Bass issued a statement saying: “We have reached out to the State Department and are in the process of gathering information to understand how this executive order would apply to players in our league who are from one of the impacted countries.“The NBA is a global league and we are proud to attract the very best players from around the world.”The NBA has several global initiative programmes, including Basketball Without Borders, that recruit, develop and invest in Sudanese players. Several top Sudanese players are attending American high schools and colleges on visas and could become NBA draft picks.The NBA is holding a Basketball Without Borders camp at All-Star Weekend in New Orleans in February, where the NBA will showcase top international amateur talent from outside the United States. There are no players from the seven banned countries on the BWB invitation list, a league source told The Vertical’s Jonathan Givony.Maker left the Sudan as a toddler with his family, landing in Australia and ultimately coming to the United States and Canada to play high school basketball. He holds an Australian passport.Deng’s family left the Sudan at five years old, and came to the United States as a teenager.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram The National Basketball Association (NBA) has contacted the State Department to understand how President Donald Trump’s executive order to suspend immigration from seven countries could impact the league’s players.The NBA has two active players, including Milwaukee Bucks rookie Thon Maker and Los Angeles Lakers veteran Luol Deng, who have Sudanese roots.
Liverpool defender Dejan Lovren has confirmed that a “disgusting” death threat against his family was sent to him via social media.The 28-year old Croatian international made this confirmation in an Instagram story as he shared a screengrab of a private message in which the sender disclosed that they would “murder” his family.On the threat, Lovren said:“I cannot ignore when my family is threatened.”“I just can’t and won’t accept that.” he added.Dejan Lovren has come in for a lot of criticisms after his performance during the recent 4-1 defeat to Tottenham Hotspur.He was at fault for Tottenham’s opening two goals during the game and was substituted by his manager, Jurgen Klopp, after just 31 minutes.RelatedWhat Jon Moss Told His Assistant In Anfield EpicFebruary 5, 2018In “England”Lovren Throws Jibes At Manchester United Ahead Of Huge ClashMarch 10, 2018In “England”Klopp Confirms Liverpool Injury Woes Ahead of Arsenal ClashDecember 28, 2018In “England”
Butler182 Kossuth9 Mitchell4 Floyd1 Worth Worth3 Franklin10 Winnebago Wright26116 Mitchell RecoveredNew Recovered Mitchell5 Butler13 Wright642 Hancock231 Area Total43228 Floyd17 Franklin395 Worth3 Kossuth16 Hancock9 Winnebago11 Floyd19 Confirmed CasesNew Cases Franklin Winnebago12 Cerro Gordo1 Butler2 Deaths Wright Hancock Cerro Gordo364 Cerro Gordo242 Area Total1644 Kossuth DES MOINES — 28 more cases of COVID-19 have been reported in our immediate listening area. According to the Iowa Department of Public Health figures in a 24-hour period ending at 11 o’clock this morning, 16 more cases were reported in Wright County, five more in Franklin, four in Cerro Gordo, two in Butler and one in Hancock.That now brings the area total of lab-confirmed cases since the start of the pandemic to 432 — 261 in Wright; 39 in Franklin; 36 in Cerro Gordo; 23 in Hancock; 19 in Floyd; 18 in Butler; 16 in Kossuth; 12 in Winnebago; five in Mitchell and three in Worth.Four more people have recovered — two each in Cerro Gordo and Wright — for a total of 164.Looking at the state numbers, seven more people have been reported dying from COVID-19 between 11:00 o’clock Tuesday and 11 o’clock this morning for a total of 629. 339 more cases have been reported for a total of 22,516. 268 more have recovered for a total of 13,545. Area Total4
Microsoft’s Kinect motion sensor brought affordable controller-less motion input to game consoles. However, the resolution on offer does limit the level of body motion that can be detected and used in a game. If you want better detection you need more sensors, and a demo using the Unreal Engine has shown just how good full-body motion sensing can be with the right kit.At the Institute of Navigation (ION) GNSS 2012 conference held last month a system was setup that allowed for full-body, real-time motion tracking of a person walking around a room and doing a range of actions. The system relied on the use of 17 YEI 3-Space Wireless Sensors attached to the body and 3 3-Space Wireless Dongles.The information gathered from tracking those sensors was fed into Epic’s Unreal Engine and applied to a character mesh that copied the actions. As this was all happening in real-time, the on-screen character mimicked the actions almost perfectly, suggesting such a system could work in-game as a control solution.The tracking system uses YEI’s miniature, high precision sensors coupled with an attitude and heading reference system. Each sensor includes a triaxial gyroscope, accelerometer, and compass sensor, along with on-board “Kalman filtering algorithms” allowing for both position and orientation to be assessed precisely.As you’d expect, such a system doesn’t come cheap with the sensors ranging in price from $99 to $299 each, and the dongles costing $89. If you want the VR headset too, that’s an additional $4,000. Even so, prices will always come down over time and this level of motion tracking would be very useful in both first-person shooters and third-person action games.The other question to ask here is: even if the price of such a system came down to a consumer-friendly level, would you be willing to wear 17 sensors every time you wanted to play? I think if the game became much more immersive and offered you a serious work out through playing, most gamers wouldn’t mind as long as they had the space to move around and play effectively.via ggmaina and YEI