The Spain international moved to the Rossoneri on a two-year loan deal on Friday after almost four seasons at Stamford Bridge. Torres endured a torrid time with the Blues and scored just 20 goals in 110 Premier League appearances for Jose Mourinho’s side since his £50million transfer from Liverpool in 2011. Fernando Torres has no hard feelings towards Chelsea after the London club’s decision to loan him to AC Milan. “On a personal note, I expect to have a big season. “I want to take advantage of this opportunity. “It is a challenge that I needed and I’m really happy to be here. “I can’t wait to get started. “I played in La Liga, the Premier League and now I am playing in my third important European league. “I want to score the goals that can take this club back up with the best.” Torres, who will wear the number nine jersey, is looking forward to working under coach Filippo Inzaghi, the former Italy and AC Milan striker. “We all know what Inzaghi was like as a player, and now he is proving his passion and desire as a coach,” he said. “I want to learn from him and I’m sure he will help me to integrate into this team. “I had no problems adapting to English football, so I don’t see there being a problem here either.” Torres is expected to make his AC Milan debut at Parma on September 14. Press Association “My relationship with Mourinho has always been good,” the 30-year-old striker said to www.acmilan.com. “I learned so much from Mourinho and I wish him and the squad the best of luck. “When I told him that I was going to Milan he wished me good luck and he told me about the passion for football that is here. “I wish Chelsea a season full of success.” Milan, who sold Italian striker Mario Balotelli to Liverpool earlier this summer, are looking to make amends for last season’s dismal campaign. The Rossoneri finished eighth in Serie A to miss out on Europe for the first time in 16 years. Torres is confident he can help Milan, who have won the European Cup seven times, return to winning trophies. “Everyone here wants to win,” he said. “We want to be near the top of the table. “I have no doubt in my mind that Milan can do well and return to Europe.
Published on June 17, 2019 at 3:50 pm Contact Michael: firstname.lastname@example.org | @MikeJMcCleary Facebook Twitter Google+ Syracuse will compete in a nonconference game against Oakland on Dec. 18 in the Carrier Dome, SU Athletics announced in a release Monday afternoon.The Golden Grizzlies are the fifth announced nonconference opponent and the sixth regular season opponent. Syracuse opens its season on Nov. 6 against conference foe and defending National Champion Virginia.The Orange have met Oakland three times before, the most recent meeting coming Nov. 20, 2017 — a 74-50 Syracuse win.Here is Syracuse’s schedule that has been released so far:Oct. 26 – Daemen College (Carrier Dome, exhibition)AdvertisementThis is placeholder textOct. 29 – Carleton University (Carrier Dome, exhibition)Nov. 6 – Virginia (Carrier Dome)Nov. 20 – Cornell, 7 p.m. (Carrier Dome)Nov. 27 – NIT Season Tipoff vs. Ole Miss/Oklahoma State/Penn State (Barclays Center)Nov. 29 – NIT Season Tipoff (Barclays Center)Dec. 3 – Iowa (ACC-Big Ten Challenge, Carrier Dome)Dec. 14 – Georgetown (Capital One Arena)Dec. 18 – Oakland (Carrier Dome)ACC home games: Boston College, Pittsburgh, Notre Dame, Georgia Tech, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Duke, Wake Forest, North Carolina, North Carolina State.ACC away games: Boston College, Pittsburgh, Notre Dame, Georgia Tech, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Clemson, Florida State, Miami, Louisville. Comments
Real Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti believes star Cristiano Ronaldo’s hamstring injury is not serious.Ronaldo came off at half-time of Real’s 1-1 draw at home to Atletico Madrid in the Supercopa de Espana first leg after being largely anonymous on Tuesday. While further tests are required, Ancelotti said the 29-year-old Portuguese attacker should be OK. “He felt something and was uncomfortable. We’ll evaluate it tomorrow,” Ancelotti said. “Apparently, it was not serious.” James Rodriguez, who replaced Ronaldo, put the hosts in control of the tie with his 81st-minute goal. But Raul Garcia levelled for Atletico, who are well-placed heading into Friday’s second leg at the Vicente Calderon. Ancelotti believes a similar performance should be enough for Real to win the trophy. “Atletico do have an advantage for the second leg since now we have to score at the Vicente Calderon,” the Italian said. “If we play like we did tonight we will win the Super Cup. “The team played well. We didn’t have a huge amount of pace in the first half but we improved in the second half. “We controlled the game pressing up front. Our midfielders were really good.” Ancelotti, who said he had decided on his first-choice goalkeeper for the season, rued the mistake made by his team for Atletico’s equaliser. Koke’s corner was flicked in by Garcia, who was unmarked just yards from goal and in front of Iker Casillas. “We made a mistake on a dead-ball situation,” he said. “We did not cover the front post well and Iker had no chance to do anything in that situation because he had a player in front of him.”