NZ Herald 12 May 2014Sperm donors are so in demand there is up to a two-year wait, prompting one woman to fork out thousands of dollars to find one faster.Karen, not her real name, has placed two newspaper advertisements in the hope of attracting an unknown sperm donor, otherwise the single mother could wait two years before she is eligible to choose one.The 39-year-old, who wanted to remain anonymous, desperately wants to give her 1-year-old son a sibling but is no longer in a relationship with his father.Process for NZ donors• Sperm donation is not commercialised in New Zealand, making it illegal to pay a sperm donor. And a child conceived through donation has the right to identifying details at 18.• The process for a donor involves a comprehensive health questionnaire, blood screening for HIV, hepatitis and genetic disorders, counselling including with the donor’s partner, banking the sperm over several months, and a final round of blood screening.• The donor can withdraw consent right up until fertilisation with an egg or insemination.• The aim is to make up to five families from one donor.• Donors can be between 18 and 50 but preferably younger than 45, when sperm quality declines.http://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/news/article.cfm?c_id=6&objectid=11253304
Black Lives Matter Alliance Palm Beach says the third-party that interrupted their demonstration on Saturday was a group of protesters who were actually leading the “March For Peace.”That “March for Peace” event was scheduled for 4 p.m. at the Palm Beach County Courthouse in West Palm Beach.“We had met with them about a month ago to try and arrange a joint organized and peaceful demonstration,” says Black Lives Matter organizer Kyla Edme.She adds that Black Lives Matter and the March For Peace group had been in discussions to merge their events, but had different agendas.“For example, she does not want to work with police, and we have no problem working with the police. We wish her no ill will,” Edme explains.“No, we are not working with the police,” the third-party spokesperson screamed on a bullhorn as they interrupted the Black Lives Matter program that started with a prayer. The group, which consisted of 10 people, said they were demonstrating a few blocks away at the Palm Beach Courthouse.Their spokesperson said they were angry at the Black Lives Matter organizers for working with the West Palm Beach Police Department to hold their event.Rick Morris, Deputy Chief Of Police, came out of the police station and told the third-party, “This is a peaceful protest, you’re agitating, you’re going to leave.”A brief standoff ensued at that point between two West Palm Beach Police officers, Black Lives Matter, and the third-party, for nearly six minutes.After the third-party left, Morris told demonstrators, “My job is to protect everybody. I saw you guys were in trouble, and I came out to help you. I’m going to go back into the police station.”Francky Pierre Pau, one of the Black Lives Matter organizers, says he is worried that the agitators will give the public the wrong message about his mission. He goes on to say that Black Lives Matter believes in tactics that always involve peaceful protesting against law enforcement that use too much force and systemic discrimination.
“I’m excited for Brett,” Roberts said. “It’s been a long road back for him. To get him back, it’s obviously a good thing for us.”McCarthy, meanwhile, threw another bullpen session Thursday in search of the fastball command that deserted him in recent starts. McCarthy walked a career-high five batters in each of his past two starts, failing to complete four innings in either one.McCarthy described his lack of command as feeling “weird” during those starts but said everything “felt very normal this week” while throwing in the bullpen. McCarthy said he made some minor adjustments in his delivery centered on his timing and release point during those bullpen sessions with pitching coach Rick Honeycutt.“A lot of it is just getting the natural feel back,” said McCarthy who has made seven starts since returning from Tommy John surgery. “It feels like something has been found. Now it’s just making sure that’s it.”Puig talk Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error LOS ANGELES >> The Dodgers will use a couple familiar pieces to assemble their rotation puzzle this time around.After throwing two bullpen sessions this week, right-hander Brandon McCarthy will make his scheduled start on Saturday against the Pittsburgh Pirates. And left-hander Brett Anderson will return from back surgery to make his 2016 debut on Sunday.With those two veterans available, Dodgers manager Dave Roberts said rookie left-hander Julio Urias will move to the bullpen and pitch in a multi-inning role if needed. However, the Dodgers will need to make a roster move to add Anderson on Sunday and could make another when lefty reliever Adam Liberatore (elbow inflammation) is eligible to return Sunday as well.Anderson was pronounced ready to go after pitching 12 innings over three minor-league rehab starts and a bullpen session on Thursday at Dodger Stadium. He has not faced major-league hitters since Game 3 of the Dodgers’ NL Division Series loss to the New York Mets last October. Demoted outfielder Yasiel Puig played his first home game for Triple-A Oklahoma City Friday night. Before the game, he spoke with reporters and answered questions about the move by the Dodgers.“I’m here to become a better player,” Puig said through an interpreter. “That was their decision. I don’t feel like this was a punishment. I feel like this is going to help me grow.“I’m here because I was not doing the right things over there. I’m here to improve myself. I’m here to become a better athlete again. … There’s a reason why I’m here. But I’m going to do my best to become the player that I was.”Puig referred to becoming the player “I was in 2013, 2014” and stuck to his talking points about being focused on “being a better teammate.and a better person.”Puig said the party videos he posted Sunday were a mistake. The Dodgers issued a statement at the time saying they were “disappointed” with the behavior of Puig and his teammates shown on the videos.“I really didn’t know how to use Snapchat,” he said. “I was just playing around with my teammates. I just did something that was wrong.”Then he went out and had three hits — a single, triple and home run — and drove in four runs for the OKC Dodgers Friday. In four games since reporting to the Triple-A team, Puig is 7 for 16 (.438) with four extra-base hits (a double, triple and two home runs) and nine RBIs.“I do want to go back to the major leagues,” Puig said. “That’s my dream and it’s still my dream to go back.“I need to do what my teammates (in Los Angeles) are doing because I’m not there. I don’t feel like I’m on the level that they are so I need to work on that. I want to be a part of the team and be at the same level as my teammates. … I know I’m not a perfect guy. But I want to be a better teammate. That’s what I’m here for.”NotesClayton Kershaw played catch again Friday and is expected to repeat the throwing session Saturday, according to Roberts. The Dodgers’ manager was hesitant to say anything about Kershaw’s progress — or lack of it — in his recovery from a back injury. But Roberts remains optimistic that further progress is “on the horizon.” … Left-hander Rich Hill threw another bullpen session before Friday’s game. He has had starts tentatively scheduled twice only to have them pushed back in order to give his injured finger more time to heal. … Reliever Joe Blanton rejoined the Dodgers Friday and was activated from the bereavement list. Left-hander Luis Avilan was returned to Triple-A Oklahoma City to clear a roster spot.
When he left after the seventh inning, cheers and a standing ovation erupted from the stands of Rogers Centre, and Stroman yelled out “This is my house!” walking out.“Just thought it could be my last outing here,” Stroman told The Star. “I’ve always been emotional. I feel like I’ve had a pretty good tenure as a Blue Jay. Hopefully this will be my third year throwing 200 innings or more. I feel like I’ve pitched pretty well in the best division in baseball. There’s been no willingness from the front office to sign me, so I’ve just come to terms with it.” Related News MLB wrap: Record-tying second inning helps Cardinals keep pace with Cubs Stroman has been mentioned as a possible target for the Yankees, along with the Braves and Phillies.The loss was Stroman’s first since June 20 against the Rangers, ending a streak of five unbeaten starts. His ERA this season now is 2.96 with a 6-11 record.If Stroman is traded, he will join his second MLB team after spending five seasons with the Jays. He was drafted by Toronto 22nd overall in the 2012 draft, but stayed in the minors until he was called up in 2014. Stroman, 28, said the reality hit him that it could be his last start in front of a Toronto crowd and that he could be somewhere else by the July 31 deadline.“I realized that it could possibly been my last home start so definitely just wanted to show the crowd some love,” Stroman said. “Because the last six, seven years that I’ve been a Blue Jay, it’s been unbelievable. I don’t know what’s gonna happen here so I’m truly not trying to think about it, I’m just trying to take it day by day.” MLB trade rumors: Mets ‘open to dealing’ closer Edwin Diaz The Marcus Stroman era in Toronto might be over.Amid rumors that the Blue Jays are looking to move the pitcher, Stroman took the mound Wednesday night against the Indians, where he allowed one run in Cleveland’s eventual 4-0 win. MLB trade rumors: Yankees will not give up top prospect for anyone less than Noah Syndergaard