Tag: 夜上海论坛CR

Sebelius vows supply of H1N1 vaccine will soon improve

first_imgOct 21, 2009 (CIDRAP News) – Health and Human Services (HHS) Secretary Kathleen Sebelius promised a Senate committee today that the flow of pandemic H1N1 influenza vaccine doses will greatly improve in November, following its slow start this month.Speaking to the Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs, Sebelius blamed production problems for the meager early supplies of vaccine and promised that eventually there will be enough for all Americans who want to be vaccinated.HHS officials had predicted that 45 million doses would be ready for distribution in mid October, followed by about 20 million more each week after that. But as of yesterday, only 12.8 million doses had become available for ordering, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said.Low yields, start-up problemsSebelius blamed two problems for the low early production numbers: low yields from the eggs used to grow the vaccine virus—which were reported when pharmaceutical companies started production in the summer—and difficulties in starting up new production lines.”We have some new production lines that have been put in place by the manufacturers; there were glitches in some of these production lines,” she told the committee.”Those two issues have been corrected, so we anticipate that number [of doses] growing exponentially as we move into the season,” she added. “By early November we’re confident that vaccine will be far more widely available. There’ll be enough vaccine so every American who wants to can be vaccinated.”The government has ordered a total of about 250 million doses of H1N1 vaccine from five manufacturers. The expectation is that vaccine deliveries will be completed in December. But the slow start to the vaccine deliveries has complicated planning by state and local health departments and other groups involved in vaccination efforts.Echoing what a CDC official said yesterday, Sebelius also promised today that the availability of seasonal flu vaccine will improve in coming weeks. Public health agencies had encouraged the public to get their seasonal flu immunizations early, before the rollout of the H1N1 vaccine. But supplies of the seasonal vaccine have run short in some areas.”We’ve been assured that production is ramping up,” Sebelius told the committee. “Manufacturers are backfilling that, and it’ll be much more widely available.”IV antiviral authorization expectedIn other comments, Sebelius said HHS will soon issue an emergency use authorization (EUA) for an antiviral drug that can be given intravenously to help critically ill H1N1 patients. The two mainstay antivirals, oseltamivir and zanamivir, are not available in IV formulations.In her written testimony, Sibelius said, “Physicians treating critically ill patients with H1N1 influenza will soon have access to new antviral drugs supported by HHS/BARDA [the Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Agency] and administered intravenously under a CDC sponsored emergency use authorization.”Under questioning by Sen. Joe Lieberman, committee chairman, she said issuance of an EUA is “imminent” but didn’t give a date.Last week a Food and Drug Administration official said a decision was expected soon on an EUA for IV peramivir, an antiviral that’s in the same class as oseltamivir and zanamivir but is not yet licensed.School closures continuingAlso at today’s hearing, Education Secretary Arne Duncan reported that the H1N1 virus has prompted many school closures so far this fall but that the numbers have been below what they were in the spring wave of the pandemic.So far this fall, 628 schools have closed for at least a day, affecting 219,000 students, Duncan told the committee. As of yesterday, 88 schools were closed, affecting 28,000 students and 1,800 teachers, he said.By comparison, in the spring, from Apr 27 through Jun 12, more than 1,350 schools in 35 states closed, affecting 824,966 students and 53,217 teachers, Duncan reported. The peak day was May 5, with 980 schools closed.At the beginning of the H1N1 outbreaks, the CDC recommended that schools close if they had any confirmed or suspected H1N1 cases. But soon afterward, when it became evident that the virus wasn’t as virulent as first feared, the agency advised that schools should focus on identifying and isolating sick students and should close only if they had large numbers of cases. Duncan said schools have been heeding the CDC guidance.He noted that the Education Department, with the CDC and state and local agencies, developed a new school dismissal monitoring system over the summer. The system used earlier didn’t work well, he said.See also: Senate committee hearing page, with links to testimony:http://hsgac.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Hearings.Hearing&Hearing_id=cbe5331e-19ab-41d5-bffe-7610f97708f0Oct 16 CIDRAP News story “US H1N1 vaccine delayed as cases and deaths rise”http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/cidrap/content/influenza/swineflu/news/oct1609vaccine.htmllast_img read more

Eastern district schools festival dubbed a success

first_img Share Share Share EducationLocalNewsPrimarySecondary Eastern district schools festival dubbed a success by: – June 14, 2012 28 Views   no discussionscenter_img Tweet Sharing is caring! Teachers singing as part of festival activities Roseau, Dominica – Education officials have dubbed the recently held Eastern District School’s Festival a success that gave students the opportunity to showcase the work they had done over the past school year.Chief Education Officer Stephenson Hyacinth said the festival maintained “the tradition of the East where we focus on output within the education system.”“Being here today to see some of the things you are doing, it shows that you are continuing the legacy of excellence in the East,” Hyacinth said, adding that Education Officer Madura Walter deserved high praise for her work in that district.The festival was held at the Castle Bruce Primary School under the theme, “Showcasing our Achievements,” and included an exhibition of art and other works completed during the term by all schools in the east.A mental math competition was also held among students of grades 4, 5 and 6 of the various schools and a poetry competition involving participants from all grades.Parliamentary Representative for the Castle Bruce Constituency, Hon. Johnson Drigo viewing some of the exhibits.Hyacinth commended the Eastern District principals for answering the “challenge together” in the organization of the festival.“I believe the district serves a very important function in that we can all learn together. We would experience much success if we would utilize the potential which lies in each district. Each principal in the district has a particular strength,” Hyacinth said.“Every school in the east should rely on the strength of the other principals in the district to support their efforts,” he advised.Parliamentary Representative for the Castle Bruce Constituency, Hon. Johnson Drigo, who represented the Education Minister, Hon. Petter Saint Jean, told students they had a “golden” opportunity to access quality education.He also called on parents, and other community interest groups to get involved in the children’s education.“From the politicians down, all of us a have to play a bigger part in ensuring that no child is left behind, no child falls through the cracks and every child achieves to the best of his abilities,” Drigo said.The Eastern District Schools Festival also included performances in song and dance from students of the various schools and climaxed with a medley of song by all the district principals. Press Releaselast_img read more

Syracuse season ends after 1st-round loss to Louisville in ACC tournament

first_img Facebook Twitter Google+ Despite grabbing an early lead, Syracuse saw its season end Wednesday afternoon in the first round of the Atlantic Coast Conference tournament.The 12th-seeded Orange (8-13, 3-11 ACC) nearly rallied back to win after dropping the doubles point, but fell 4-3 to 13th-seeded Louisville (12-15, 2-10) in Cary, North Carolina.“Today was a little bit more emotional than other days,” head coach Younes Limam said. “… It’s a little bit sad to see and to realize that it was our three seniors’ last match.”Louisville’s doubles tandem of Chloe Willetts and Ariana Rodriguez topped SU’s Valeria Salazar and Komal Safdar, 8-6, while Elle Stokes and Olivia Boesing beat Breanna Bachini and Nicole Mitchell by the same score to secure the doubles point for the Cardinals.Syracuse quickly tied the match when No. 1 singles player Amanda Rodgers made quick work of Stokes, 6-0, 6-3.AdvertisementThis is placeholder text“Amanda played great tennis from start to finish,” Limam said. “She played on her terms.”In the only other match that didn’t go the full three sets, Safdar disposed of Rodriguez at fifth singles, 6-4, 6-3, giving the Orange a 2-1 lead. And when Rhiann Newborn won her match at third singles, 1-6, 6-3, 6-2, it looked as if SU was in control.But things started to go downhill when Salazar lost her match at second singles. After winning the first set, she relinquished the lead, falling 5-7, 6-3, 6-4 to Manuela Velasquez.Louisville then evened the match as Boesing outlasted Bachini at fourth singles, 6-4, 4-6, 6-3, leaving Syracuse’s fate in the hands of Mitchell at sixth singles.Mitchell dropped the first set but rebounded to win the second set, 6-2. She led the third set, 5-4, before dropping the last three games to lose, 6-3, 2-6, 7-5.“This was the first time that Nicole found herself in that position and it’s not a position that is easy to manage,” Limam said. “You’re a freshman and you’re playing to clinch the match. There were a lot of nerves, but I’m very proud of how Nicole handled the situation.”With Mitchell’s loss, SU’s season was over.The Orange will return four of its seven players for the 2015-16 season: Mitchell, Newborn, Salazar and Olivia Messineo. It will lose Bachini, Rodgers and Safdar, all of whom are graduating this spring. Comments Published on April 22, 2015 at 5:07 pm Contact Michael: mdburk01@syr.edulast_img read more

Heisler: Despite what you’ve heard, Kawhi Leonard is not on his way to Lakers yet

first_imgComing early this year … it’s Christmas in Lakerdom!Kawhi Leonard wants to be a Laker!LeBron James might want to, too! With Kawhi here, the Lakers could move from co-favorites with Houston into leading contenders!LeBron might still be able to bring yet another big free agent, like his pal, Chris Paul, or Paul George. Sign up for Home Turf and get 3 exclusive stories every SoCal sports fan must read, sent daily. Subscribe here.Even before ESPN scoopmaster Adrian Wojnarowski reported – credibly, as ever – that Leonard wants to be traded to the Lakers, a pundit for the Worldwide Leader in Sports had thrown out the fantastic possibility of Kawhi, LeBron and CP3 – all – joining the Lakers.That story, by Kevin Pelton, is speculative … but technically possible.What has changed are the presumed ground rules in the LeBron Derby: The Cavaliers, long aware James might leave, are now expected to seek something back by agreeing to trade him to the team he chooses.Interested teams no longer need to create a $36 million maximum salary slot on their own. The Lakers, who already have close to two max slots, could get LeBron and two more superstars.If the Cavs take back salary along with prospects, what had concerned only a few teams has been broken wide open. The result will be a fantastic level of wheeling and dealing, possibilities, and headlines, such as today’s.Since anyone can say anything, it’s wise to stick with the little that we know … which suggests, at least to me, that Kawhi is exceedingly unlikely to become a Laker.It has long been known that the newly enigmatic Leonard, coming off a season that he largely took off with a minor-looking injury, wants to be a Laker. Wojnarokwsi reported as much months ago.Woj also reported that the Spurs have put their mis-spent season behind them and will sit down with Kawhi in the hope of finding out where his head is and, if still on Earth, wooing him back with the super-maximum $219 million extension only they can offer him.Kawhi’s people have reportedly not conveyed his desire to be traded to the team. Without risking a tampering bust, they can’t have told the Lakers … although the Lakers not only know about it but are assuredly wide-eyed at the prospect, which would take precedence, even over James, who’s seven years older, almost two generations in NBA time.That’s as far as anyone has reported it has gotten, until now with the season’s end and the yawning news hole prompting the speculation that’s now racing ahead of events.This thing still must proceed in steps.• Leonard and the Spurs will presumably meet although no timetable has been reported.They’ll either fall into each others’ arms and agree last season was a big misunderstanding, or not, in which case the team really will shop Kawhi.• If Leonard is leaving, Spurs boss Gregg Popovich will help decide where he’s going, with Kawhi under contract for next season.I can’t imagine Popovich, who is as transparent as he is principled, trading Leonard in a deal that could create another Western Conference super-power … and, worse still, in the person of their old arch-rivals, the Lakers.Related Articles VIDEO: Watch Kyle Kuzma’s game winner and what he said about it Popovich has long cautioned against deals that help West rivals. In a notorious exception in 2007, his trusty GM, R.C. Buford, got him to trade the rights to Luis Scola to Houston. Scola became a Rockets mainstay and the Spurs received nothing from the deal. Popovich is said to have clenched his teeth for months.If seeing Scola in Houston would have been a 1 on the Spurs’ 10-point scale of devastating, Kawhi in a Lakers uniform would be off the charts.Far likelier is a deal to an Eastern Conference team. With Boston sure to be as interested as the Lakers, that could mean San Antonio acquiring a glowing prospect like Jayson Tatum or, perhaps, two, such as Jaylen Brown and Terry Rozier.Interestingly, there might be another local option for Leonard if Pop bars the door to the Lakers. … the Clippers, who would presumably offer all they have – take DeAndre Jordan, please – to rebuild around Kawhi.With less fear of building a Clippers dynasty than helping create yet another Lakers dynasty, Popovich might go for that.All this will remain speculation until something actually happens, presumably in July, although more reports from the Worldwide Leader will be along momentarily. Lakers on verge of sealing home court advantage, what does it mean in the NBA bubble? Jubilation, anguish as race for NBA’s Western 8th seed gets as close as ever center_img AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREUCLA alum Kenny Clark signs four-year contract extension with PackersWith a James-Leonard-Paul nucleus, it wouldn’t even matter if LeBron is getting up there at 33 and Paul gets hurt every spring. They could just play LeBron 50 games during the season, and let CP3 take the whole thing off and just play in the postseason!Oh, right, and then there’s real life.What’s the difference between “headlines” and “events?”In an “event,” something happens.In a “headline,” nothing has to happen. Morning Wrap: Full coverage from Lakers-Clippers thriller; Angels, Dodgers going in different directions; Whicker pays tribute to legendary Mike Gillespie Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error VIDEO: LeBron James and Doc Rivers respond to Donald Trump calling NBA kneeling protests “disgraceful” last_img read more