Some of the home-based athletes and coaches in Nigeria’s party to the 14th IAAF World Championships departed Lagos for Moscow, Russia Monday morning.Some of the athletes who departed the Murtala Mohammed International Airport in Lagos include, Noah Akwu, Abiola Onakoya, Isah Salihu, Ogho-Oghene Egwero and Tobi Ogunmola.The female members of the team that boarded the Etihad Airways to Doha, Qatar en-route Moscow, include Peace Uko, Josephine Ehigie and Bukola Abogunloko.Gabriel Oko, Yusuf Alli, Tony Osheku, Paul Obodoechina and others were among some of the coaches listed for the trip to Moscow.The coaches and athletes are to be joined by the foreign-based athletes including Blessing Okagbare, Tosin Oke and Ajoke Odumosu who have been on the IAAF circuit this outdoor season.AFN Board member and Head of Media, Olukayode Thomas, confirmed at the airport that the federation has prepared the athletes well ahead of the World Championships in Moscow. “We had a training plan, and in terms of support, we had the backing of the Sports Minister, Mallam Bolaji Abdullahi, who has ensured that everything they need in Moscow is in place. We are hoping to have a good outing at this edition,” said Thomas.He explained that since the bulk of the show at the IAAF World Championships were mainly individual events, it was not necessary to camp the athletes at one location.“The kind of training we have in football is not what obtains in athletics.“Someone who is into high jump does not need to train with others– once he or she has a good coach,’’ he said.
Fifa president Gianni Infantino has been cleared of wrongdoing following an investigation into his expenses, recruitment and alleged sacking of whistleblowers.Infantino took charge of football’s world governing body in February after the disgraced Sepp Blatter resigned.Fifa’s ethics committee found no “conflicts of interest” and no breaches of the organisation’s ethics code.”The benefits enjoyed by Mr Infantino were not considered improper,” it said.Infantino said he was pleased with the decision, adding he “would like to thank all those who co-operated with the ethics committee to ensure that the facts were heard and the truth prevailed”.BBC Sport learned last month that Infantino, 46, was under scrutiny from the investigatory chamber of Fifa’s ethics committee. At the time, the Swiss lawyer was said to be “very confident” no further action would be taken, with sources close to the former Uefa secretary general describing the allegations as “absurd” and “baseless”.”Mr Infantino’s conduct with regard to his contract with Fifa, if at all, constituted internal compliance issues rather than an ethical matter,” the ethics committee added.What were the allegations?A leaked internal Fifa memo outlined a series of claims relating to Infantino. The claims were that he: Left himself exposed to claims of a possible conflict of interest by using private jets laid on by a World Cup bidding country;Filled senior posts without checking people’s eligibility for the role;Billed Fifa for mattresses, flowers, a tuxedo, an exercise machine and personal laundry;Demanded Fifa hire an external driver, who then billed the governing body for driving Infantino’s family and advisors around while he was abroad.