Hima Das’s sensational gold medal win at the IAAF World Under-20 Athletics Championships was hailed by President Ram Nath Kovind, Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Congress chief Rahul Gandhi as the 18-year-old won hearts across the country.Hima with her win in the 400m race has become the first Indian to win a gold medal in a track event at the Under-20 IAAF world championships. President Kovind called her gold medal victory a very proud moment for Assam and India and said that the Olympic podium now beckons Hima Das.Prime Minister Modi tweeted, “India is delighted and proud of athlete Hima Das, who won a historic Gold in the 400m of World U20 Championships. Congratulations to her! This accomplishment will certainly inspire young athletes in the coming years.”Congratulations to our sensational sprint star Hima Das for winning the 400m gold in the World Under-20 Championship. This is Indias first ever track gold in a World Championship. A very proud moment for Assam and India, Hima; now the Olympic podium beckons! #PresidentKovindPresident of India (@rashtrapatibhvn) July 12, 2018Congress chief Rahul Gandhi, on the other hand, tweeted a short video clip, showing Hima Das’s gold-winning 400-metre sprint at the IAAF World Under-20 Athletics Championships in Finland.”In the video below, you will see what makes Hima Das, Gold medalist at the world under-20 Athletics Championship, in Finland, so special… I salute her achievement & congratulate her on her historic win,” Gandhi said.In the video below, you will see what makes Hima Das, Gold medalist at the world under-20 Athletics Championship, in Finland, so special!This is Indias first ever Gold in a track event at a world championship.I salute her achievement & congratulate her on her historic win. pic.twitter.com/N4q62mVecMadvertisementRahul Gandhi (@RahulGandhi) July 13, 2018In the 400m event on Thursday night, Andrea Miklos of Romania took silver with a personal best time of 52.07 seconds. Taylor Manson of the United States registered 52.28 seconds to finish third.Hima had done well in the earlier rounds as well, winning Heat 4 with a time of 52.25 seconds. She emerged on top in the semi-finals as well, winning her race in 52.10 seconds.Jisna Matthew, the other Indian in the fray, also showed early promise, winning Heat 5 with a time of 54.32 seconds. But the Kerala girl crashed out in the semi-finals, where she finished fifth with 53.86 seconds.Hima Das was the favourite to win the gold in Finland as she is currently the U-20 season leader in this quarter-mile event. Her rise has been nothing less than meteoric as she took up serious running only last year.READ | Hima Das reacts after historic 400m gold: Thank you for the support, IndiaDas had earlier clocked an Indian U-20 record of 51.32 seconds to finish sixth in the Commonwealth Games 400m final in Gold Coast in April.Since then, she has gone on to improve her timings. She lowered the Indian U-20 record in 400m to 51.13 seconds while winning gold in the recent National Inter State Championships in Guwahati.(With inputs from agencies)WATCH | Number one priority is to make the sportsperson the VIP, says Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore
About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Leicester boss Puel: My players deserved this winby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveJamie Vardy produced the winner for Leicester City at Everton on Tuesday.Vardy raced away and finished expertly just before the hour mark after a defensive mistake from Michael Keane presented him with some room to run in behind the Everton back line.Afterwards, Foxes boss Claude Puel said: “I think we had a disappointment after the game against Cardiff. “It was important to have the right reaction in this situation. I am happy, of course, about my players and about their work and togetherness today.“They gave their best, it was the same thing against Cardiff. I think against Cardiff, we lacked a little more freshness to have the efficiency and precision in their play – good pass, good touches, good control and good moves, all these things.“It was difficult also for Everton to find a solution against us because we defended very well, deep, with togetherness and quality.“After, I think it was difficult after our recovery to have good moves and it was important in the second half to try and use some good opportunities when we recovered the ball.“We tried to score. With the ball recovery and a good assist from Ricky (Ricardo Pereira), he gave a good ball with good timing and space for Jamie [Vardy]. We know the quality of Jamie in this situation.”
New Delhi: Union minister Nitin Gadkari Tuesday said people have to pay toll if they want good roads, making it clear that the toll system would stay as the government does not have enough funds. Replying to a discussion on demands for grants for the Road Transport and Highways ministry in the Lok Sabha, he said the government built 40,000 kilometres of highway in the last five years. Amid concerns expressed by some members over collection of toll in different parts of the country, Gadkari said money collected through toll from those areas which have capacity to pay are utilised for building roads in rural and hilly areas. “Toll zindagi bar band nahi ho sakta… kam zyaada ho saktha hai. Toll ka jaanamdata mein ho… (Toll system can never end though rates may vary from time to time. Toll is my brain child,” Gadkari said. “If you want good services, you have to pay for it. Government does not have money…,” he stressed.
Gunawardena, a former chairman of the Development Lotteries Board, was arrested by the CCD for allegedly misusing Government vehicles. (Colombo Gazette) Former Deputy Minister Sarana Gunawardena was further remanded till October 2 by the Colombo Fort Magistrate when he was produced in court today.The Colombo Crimes Division (CCD) arrested Gunawardena earlier this month.
EVERY MORNING, TheJournal.ie brings you the nine stories you need to know as you kick off your day.1. #BLOODY SUNDAY: As many as 20 retired British soldiers face being arrested and questioned as part of a murder investigation into the Bloody Sunday shootings in Derry 41 years ago, the Sunday Times reports.2. #DRUGS: Gardaí have seized heroin and cocaine worth an estimated €2 million in a major seizure at a house in Kildare. Two men were arrested at the scene.3. #MYSTERY: Lawyers for the couple arrested after the discovery of a blonde toddler at a Roma camp in Greece who was found not to be related to them say that the girl’s mother gave her up at birth and that she was not kidnapped or trafficked, AFP reports. Police across Europe are searching for the child’s real parents.4. #BUSHFIRES: A state of emergency has been declared in the Australian state of New South Wales as it faces its worst bushfire threat in 40 years due to the dangerous combination of warm dry weather and strong winds, the BBC reports.5. #HOSTAGES: Nine Lebanese pilgrims who were kidnapped by rebels in Syria 17 months ago have arrived home after being released as part of a complex swap deal, the Guardian reports.6. #OUCH: US banking giant JP Morgan looks set for a record fine of $13 billion (€9.5 billion) from the US Department of Justice over the sale of its overvalued mortgage-backed securities which was blamed for the near-collapse of the US banking system in 2007, Bloomberg reports.7. #NORTHERN IRELAND: Sinn Féin leader Gerry Adams allegedly led an internal republican inquiry into sexual abuse allegations against more than 100 IRA and Sinn Féin members, the Sunday Independent reports.8. #UNEMPLOYMENT: Former Governor of Mountjoy Prison John Lonergan has warned that the cut to dole payments for young people announced in Budget 2014 could push more young people into crime.9. #BACK-STREET LENDING: MABS has warned that loan sharks and money lending is on the increase as people in need of cash and unable to get it from banks or credit unions look for new sources of money, the Sunday Independent reports.
Since starting to release confidential diplomatic documents online, the WikiLeaks website has been under attack. The DDoS attacks led the site to find an alternative hosting solution which eventually saw a switch to Amazon Web Services’ Elastic Cloud hosting solution, which expands with a customer’s needs.All seemed well, and access to the site was regained after the transfer. It’s also important to point out that although WikiLeaks were using Amazon servers, the actual documentation at the heart of the controversy was being stored elsewhere. On the face of it there was no conflict between what WikiLeaks were doing and what Amazon was hosting. As The Guardian clearly states:AdChoices广告But the US government would not be able to remove the diplomatic cables from the internet by ordering Amazon to take down the Wikileaks pages – partly because the cables are not hosted there: further digging shows that http://cablegate.wikileaks.org, where the documents are being held, is actually hosted by Octopuce, a French company. But the relationship between the two companies has ended after only a brief period. Amazon decided to take action and stop hosting WikiLeaks. Although Amazon has not confirmed why it chose to stop hosting, WikiLeaks has confirmed it happened with the following tweet:The office of Senator Joseph Lieberman issued a statement which looks to have broken the news of Amazon’s decision. It said:This morning Amazon informed my staff that it has ceased to host the Wikileaks website. I wish that Amazon had taken this action earlier based on Wikileaks’ previous publication of classified material. The company’s decision to cut off Wikileaks now is the right decision and should set the standard for other companies Wikileaks is using to distribute its illegally seized material. I call on any other company or organization that is hosting Wikileaks to immediately terminate its relationship with them. Even so, at time of writing the WikiLeaks website is still live, and therefore another company has allowed them to stay online. The organization’s tweet also suggests that there’s many more hosting companies willing to do so.Read more at Geekosystem and The Raw Story
The fragmentation of the Federation of Greek Orthodox Communities of Australia into three conflicting groups was confirmed at the meeting of its members held last Saturday in Melbourne. Members who attended the meeting told Neos Kosmos that the Federation “continues to pay a heavy price for the misguided ecclesiastical choices of its leadership”. According to sources, previous decisions made by the Federation have caused issues such as the community of Adelaide and Newcastle failing to support the choices of the leadership of the Federation in church matters and the communities of Wollongong and Clayton trying to impose their own spiritual leader. They also stated that the Greek Community of Sydney – the only member of the Federation that returned to ecclesiastical legality – does not participate in debating ecclesiastical issues, abstinence that has upset the balance within the Federation. The fractions within the Federation has created an “inner war” between themselves, preventing the Federation as a body to dedicate its time and resources to community issues such as education, the promotion of Greek culture and language and elderly care. During the meeting elections for the new Board of Directors were conducted. The following were elected: President: Nick Manos Vice President: Dionysus Tsoukalas Secretary: Argiro Kassoudaki Treasurer: Ilias Mavrogiorgis Members: Panagiotis Zafiris and Giannnis Lesses. Mr Manos will replace Theofanis Maras, president of the Federation and the Greek Community of Adelaide for many years, who resigned from his position last October. New president of the Greek Community of Adelaide will be elected in February. The position that was left vacant after the resignation of the elected president of the organisation, Nikos Portelos. Mr Portelos is temporarily replaced by Evangelos Bogias. According to community sources, the resignation of Mr Portelos will be discussed at the upcoming regular board meeting. A new president will be elected as well, to lead the community to the General Meeting in May. Facebook Twitter: @NeosKosmos Instagram
A new independent school catering to the influx of inner-city families has been given a ‘generous’ offer to build on a property site owned by Stamoulis Property Group.The Fishermans Bend site held by the Stamoulis Property Group is already divided to become a triple-storey town house development, but the property also contains a heritage art deco building at the old Symex soap factory that is being looked at to house the school.Private developer Harry Stamoulis hopes the school will help the pricey real estate on his site and cater to nearby residents by making the area more community friendly.The business behind the Sandridge School signed an agreement with the property group on “very generous terms” to occupy part of the space at Fishermans Bend, but needs to find $2 million to get itself up and running by its 2016 start date.The school is marketed as ‘secular’, teaching students about citizenship and entrepreneurship, and will use not-for-profits to run programs in the curriculum. The Stamoulis Property Group has said it will refurbish the school site, keeping it in tune with the surrounding development but staying true to its heritage.If the school is successful with its crowd-funding campaign, it will use the money to fit out the renovated building. It hopes to welcome 200 year seven and eight students next year, becoming one the first secondary schools to cater to families living in the CBD.Fishermans Bend is expected to house 80,000 people over the next 40 years, while surrounding areas have seen a steady influx of residents.More information on the crowd funding campaign can be found on the Sandridge School website and at www.pozible.com/project/188874Source: The Age Facebook Twitter: @NeosKosmos Instagram
Stay on target This Cactus Spine Needle Is the Oldest Tattoo Tool in Western North AmericaEarliest Surviving Tattoos Discovered on Male, Female Mummies There are endless ways to pay tribute to close family and friends or lost loved ones.I like to put framed photos around the house. Some people prefer to dedicate an indelible piece of art on their skin.To those folks, I say meet Endeavor Life Sciences, a biotech company that uses technology to incorporate DNA into tattoo ink.Its product, Everence (an amalgamation of “forever” and “reverence”), boasts a patented process that turns any DNA sample, hair, or cremains into a powder, which can be mixed with ink and applied to an existing or new tattoo.“Everence allows you to use your tattoo to carry those who have impacted your life and inspired your journey with you at all times,” the firm’s website said. “We like to think of it as a modern-day sacred relic, an actual physical addition to your tattoo that lasts forever.”The process, which will set you back $350, is simple: A customer orders a collection kit—either the DNA cheek swab or ash and hair container—online, follows the directions, and sends it back with the precious cargo.A bunch of mad scientists then turn that sample into Everence “through a patented process,” co-founder and CEO Patrick Duffy (not that Patrick Duffy) told Digital Trends.Purified and encapsulated in a medical-grade polymer (to protect it from being absorbed or destroyed by the body), the final product—300 mg of fine whitish-silverish dust—is returned to the client.(via Endeavor Life Sciences)“They can take their Everence to any tattoo artist in the world, who in turn mixes it with any tattoo ink of their choosing, and applies the tattoo as they normally would,” Duffy explained.The concept was inspired by Gold Star families—relatives of U.S. military members who died in battle. But you don’t have to be the surviving relative of fallen Special Ops personnel to wield Everence.Customers so far also include people celebrating births, engagements, and marriages, according to Digital Trends, as well as those who’ve lost a loved one by other means.“Everence: for the ones who make us, shake us, and break us,” the website said.Despite the safety precautions, this practice doesn’t come without risks: The U.S. Food and Drug Administration warns consumers of potential infections and dangers of tattoos. (And so do my parents.)DNA is slated to be the next big thing in data storage, while high-tech tattoos are sweeping the medical community. Read more about deoxyribonucleic acid and tats on Geek.com.