THE FUTURE for rail services that eke out a precarious existence in Zaire looks bleaker than ever following news early last month that Laurent Kabila’s opposition forces had shut down Sizarail, the operating company owned 51% by the Comazar consortium formed of South Africa’s Transnet and Belgium’s Transurb, and 49% by the Zaire government.Sizarail had succeeded in restoring life to the virtually moribund lines on which the country relies to move copper and other mineral exports. Ten years ago Zaire National Railways was carrying about 4 million tonnes of freight a year, but by 1993 barely half a million tonnes was moved. Sizarail has since succeeded in reducing wagon turnround times and improving reliability, but invasion of its Lubumbashi headquarters by armed troops, seizure of its assets and expulsion of its Belgian managing director threatens an instant return to decline.With South Africa trying hard to arrange a peaceful deal between the forces of Kabila and those of President Mobutu, a channel exists for contact between Transnet and the rebels. Transnet Executive Director Mafika Mkwanazi is hoping that a deal will be reached with a future government in Zaire to allow operations to resume – he said on May 7 that Kabila’s forces would not be able to manage Zaire’s railways without outside help. Rebel forces apparently requested a meeting with South African rail experts during May, so there is some ground for hope. The biggest danger is that civil war between Kabila’s forces and those of President Mobutu will destroy what remains of Zaire’s railways. o
Dutch tidal energy developer Tocardo has secured investment from a fund owned by Noord-Holland province after the company filed for bankruptcy last month.The funding rescue package for the company was provided by the Participatiefonds Duurzame Economie Noord-Holland (PDENH) – a fund which invests in sustainable companies on behalf of the province of Noord-Holland, and a number of private investors, Tocardo informed.The company filed for bankruptcy in January 2018, and received an approval from Dutch authorities for the ‘automatic stay’ – a legal provision that enables the debtor to temporarily prevent creditors from collecting amounts owed.The move followed the failure to reach an agreement with Tribute Resources, a Canadian energy company, which was supposed to become a full owner of Tocardo in a share swap deal.Bart Blokhuis, Director of the PDENH, said: “With our investment, we enable Tocardo to seize the opportunity to make tidal energy available to the world from the Netherlands.”Hans van Breugel, CEO of Tocardo, added: “With the support of our province and a group of private investors, this innovation will be retained for the Dutch economy. The Netherlands is a fantastic innovation country and tidal energy certainly belongs to that.”
‘The perfect package’ – Anzac book wins top prizeTVNZ One News 8 August 2016An illustrated book detailing the triumphs and tragedies of ANZAC heroes serving in both world wars, has won the top prize at the prestigious New Zealand Book Awards for Children and Young Adults.ANZAC Heroes by Maria Gill was awarded the Margaret Mahy Book of the Year prize, as well as taking out the best non-fiction category, at a ceremony in Wellington this evening.The book covers the front line experiences of 30 New Zealand and Australian personnel, from soldiers and pilots, to nurses and spies, including their accomplishments in the war, and their post-war lives.Judges praised the collaboration with illustrator Marco Ivancic, with the book including lifelike illustrations with maps, timelines and pop out boxes.“There’s carefully chosen material, near overwhelming the reader, but not skimping on detail either. The meticulous research brings these heroes to life creating the perfect book package,” judge Fiona Mackie said.Patricia Grace’s Whiti te ra! based on the history of the famous Ka Mate haka, won the award for best book in te reo Maori.While a tale of a battle between France and England using dinosaurs as weaponry, Battlesaurus: Rampage at Waterloo by Brian Faulkner, was the winner of Young Adult Fiction.https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/entertainment/perfect-package-anzac-book-wins-top-prize
Asiana Airlines flight 214 crashed inSan Francisco in 2013 when the plane’s tail struck a seawall short of therunway, killing three teenage passengers from China and wounding over 180 outof around 300 people on board.(Reuters) An Asiana Airlines Boeing 747-400 taxis at the international airport in San Francisco, California on Feb. 7, 2015. REUTERS/LOUIS NASTRO/FILE PHOTO The flight ban will be implementedbefore the end of February, the transport ministry said. The transport ministry suspendedAsiana Airlines’ once-daily United States-bound flight on Thursday as a penaltylinked to its deadly plane crash in San Francisco on 2013. The SC said insufficient stafftraining was the main cause of the crash. SOUTH KOREA – The Supreme Court (SC)here upheld a government decision to suspend Asiana Airlines’ Incheon-SanFrancisco route for 45 days.
“If an employee is burdened with arduous tasks, that person could surely relax for a while in his desk, office, or outside of the same, but never in a comfort room,” the state auditors added. The COA has ordered the office of Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana to explain the P553,807.62 of around P6.4 million allotted for the renovation and repair of comfort rooms that was used for the installation of air-conditioning units and shower heaters. “We recommend that management provide justification why the installation of shower and air-conditioning units is necessary in the common comfort rooms and be allowed in audit,” the report said. MANILA – The Department of National Defense (DND) was flagged down by the Commission on Audit (COA) for spending over half a million pesos to install air-conditioning units and shower heaters in comfort rooms at its office. The COA also rejected the DND management’s response that the air-condition units and shower heaters in their toilets were to “encourage productivity and inspire creativity among employees.” “Public servants should not be spending on things which may be considered as luxuries,” the COA said. “The DND should use its resources for more valuable projects related to its mandate.” The COA also said that they expect the DND to submit a justification with legal basis for the facilities in question./PN
Floyd D. Hasler, 85, of Versailles passed away at 9:30pm, Monday, July 8, 2019 at Manderley Health Center. He was born in Paxton, Illinois on March 7, 1935 the son of Oliver and Myrl McVaigh Hasler. He was married to Helen McCreary on June 2, 2001 in Columbia Missouri and she survives. Other survivors include one son, Donald (Joyce) Hasler of Paxton IL, one son in law; Carl Sorenson of Cape Coral, FL, step son; James Blevans of Napoleon and step daughter; Roxie (Raymond) Duke of Versailles 10 grandchildren and 10 great-grandchildren. He was preceded in death by his parents, his two daughters; Cathy Sorenson and Donna Kraft. Mr. Hasler was an Implement Dealer in Paxton and retired as a Realtor in Fort Myers, FL. Floyd was a member of the Shelby Christian Church. Funeral services will be held 1:00pm, Thursday, July 11th, 2019 at the Stratton-Karsteter Funeral Home in Versailles with Bro. Tim Heim of the Shelby Christian Church officiating. Burial will be in the Glen Cemetery in Paxton, IL at a later date. Visitation will also be on Thursday beginning at 11am. Memorials may be given to the Building Fund for Shelby Christian Church in care of the funeral home.
David Floyd McKittrick, 79, of Milan passed away Monday, June 8, 2020 at his residence in Milan. David was born Thursday, August 29, 1940 in Ripley County, Indiana, the son of the late James and Helen (Parsons) McKittrick. He married Mary Volz Meyer on September 11, 2004 and she survives. David served his country in the U.S. Army. He worked at Jefferson Proving Ground as a maintenance foreman and an electrician. He was an active member of Milan First Baptist Church, Milan American Legion, and Milan Lions Club. He enjoyed reading, gardening, rabbit hunting, traveling, visiting National Parks, and fishing.David is survived by his wife Mary of Milan; sons: Scot (Kristi) McKittrick of Williamsburg, Virginia and Jason (Julie) McKittrick of Osgood; step-son Chad (Jill) Meyer of Milan; step-daughters Paula (Jason) Hockett of New Palestine and Paige (Zach) Wade of Milan; brother John McKittrick of Milan; sisters Rita Pulley Of Columbus, Ohio and Betty Cooke of Louisiana; and thirteen grandchildren. He was preceded in death by his parents, first wife Rickie (Palmer) McKittrick, brothers Howard, James, and Robert.A service celebrating his life will be held 1 PM Thursday, June 11, 2020 at Laws-Carr-Moore Funeral Home in Milan with Pastor Harris Long officiating. Burial will follow in New Craven Cemetery, with full military rites provided by the Milan American Legion Post #235. Family and friends may gather to share and remember him 11 AM – 1 PM Thursday also at the funeral home. Memorials may be given in honor of David to the Milan First Baptist Church or Milan Fire Department. Laws-Carr-Moore Funeral Home entrusted with arrangements, 707 S Main Street, Box 243, Milan, IN 47031, (812)654-2141. Please reach out to the family through our website at www.lawscarrmoore.com to leave an online condolence message or memory of David for the family.
Just three days after a rousing win over Liverpool, Manchester United return to Champions League action with everything still to play for in the second leg against Spanish side,Sevilla.The Reds barely survived their trip to the Estadio Ramon Sanchez Pizjuan, following brilliant show by David De Gea who helped to secure a goalless outing for the former English Premiership champions.Performances must improve tonight, as Sevilla outshoot Manchester United 25-6 in the first leg. But there wonâ€™t be any margin for error since the home side failed to score an away goal in Spain. Any score draw will knock the Reds out of the Champions League. Thankfully, visiting teams rarely find joy at Old Trafford these days. In 20 home matches in 2017/18, United have won 17 with only one loss. Even better, they are rounding into form at exactly the right time.Since that dour day at Sevilla, Manchester United have reeled off three straight wins and regained their footing after a choppy February. Jose Mourinhoâ€™s men needed comebacks to beat Chelsea and Crystal Palace, but wasted no time in grabbing control of Saturdayâ€™s match against Liverpool.A first-half brace from Marcus Rashford proved the difference. Although Liverpool had 68% possession, they did little with it â€” mustering only two shots on goal. In fact, their only goal came courtesy of Unitedâ€™s Eric Bailly, who made his first start for the club since returning from ankle surgery. That gaffe aside, Bailly played well and provided much-needed strength and speed to the United defenceSpeaking yesterday ahead of todayâ€™s clash with Sevilla, Mourinho said he did not know whether midfielder Paul Pogba would return for tonightâ€™s Champions League last-16 second-leg tie.Pogba has returned to training after missing Saturday’s 2-1 Premier League victory over Liverpool.Forward Anthony Martial could return at Old Trafford after missing two matches.The Red Devils will be without defenders Phil Jones, Marcos Rojo and Daley Blind, and midfielder Ander Herrera.And Tuesday’s game could come too soon for striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic, who is regaining fitness after almost three months out with a knee injury.Midfielder Michael Carrick will hope to be included after confirming on Monday that he will retire at the end of the season.Sevilla will be without defender Sebastien Corchia, while Daniel Carrico is also a doubt. Former Manchester City winger Jesus Navas is unlikely to make the squad as he recovers from injury.United, who will play its first Champions League knockout game in four years, has won 15 of the 18 home games so far this season.TODAYRoma v ShakhtarMan Utd v SevillaWEDNESDAYBesiktas v Bâ€™ MunichBarca v ChelseaShare this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram
Facebook Twitter Google+ Terrel Hunt hasn’t played in a game since fracturing his fibula in Syracuse’s loss to Louisville on Oct. 3. And though Saturday’s spring game is, as SU head coach Scott Shafer put it, more of a practice, the quarterback is just happy to be playing football in the Carrier Dome in front of fans again. “I just feel more confident in knowing things because I just had a bunch of time to just look at coverages and study coverages and study and see everything,” Hunt, Syracuse’s starting quarterback, said. “I know our defense like the back of my hand.”Hunt said on Tuesday that he had no idea that the spring game would have a practice format with no score being kept until a reporter asked him, but noted he was just ready to just go out and play. He’s also expressed excitement about working with offensive coordinator Tim Lester, who was promoted the game after his injury occurred. Hunt didn’t shy away from saying that it’s beneficial for a quarterback to have a quarterback coach calling the shots.“We’re way further (along) than we were last year,” Hunt said. “And you can ask any player that. Every player knows their job and they do their job right. Last year we had a ton of plays we were trying to run and nobody knew exactly how to run them.”On Saturday, he hopes to make sure he gets the ball out of his hands with good timing. He wants to make sure the energy is up and hopes to stay in the pocket longer. AdvertisementThis is placeholder textLester has said he sees Hunt more as pocket passer than the run-centric quarterback he’s been viewed as in the past. “If we have a guy that can run, fantastic,” Lester said. “But he has to drop back, read coverage and make the throw.”He noted that it’s different this year to not work with former offensive coordinator George McDonald, who wasn’t a quarterback coach. He said McDonald couldn’t point out the little things like Hunt’s footwork that Lester sees instinctively. Hunt is using the spring to adapt to a new offense with a new mindset. He’s happy to finally be playing and not on the sideline or in the coaches box helping to call plays. The only thing holding him back is a sore leg. But he knows the only thing that will cure it is time.“It’s been a while,” Hunt said. “I can’t wait to be back.” Comments Published on April 2, 2015 at 11:36 pm Contact Sam: firstname.lastname@example.org | @SamBlum3
Artists ILoveMakonnen and Miguel will perform at Conquest, the Undergraduate Student Government Concerts Committee announced Friday. “We decided to go ahead with these two artists because we think that not only are they complementary to one another, but they’re also a really exciting way to bring the community together with a pumped-up, really exciting Makonnen set and then a soulful, exciting Miguel set,” said Judah Joseph, executive director of Concerts Committee. “It’s a great way to end off before Thanksgiving and lead us on to beating the Bruins on Saturday.”ILoveMakonnen will open the show followed by Miguel, the headliner for Monday’s concert.The concert is part of the annual Conquest rally that takes place before the USC-UCLA rivalry football game. Conquest is organized by the Office of Campus Activities, USG Program Board, Trojan Pride and USG Concerts Committee.Hailing from Atlanta, Georgia, ILoveMakonnen gained popularity last year when the rapper Drake remixed his song “Tuesday.” On Friday, the artist released a new extended play, “ILoveMakonnen 2,” the sequel to his debut extended play “ILoveMakonnen” released in December 2014. Miguel, a Grammy-award winning artist and Los Angeles native, released his third album, Wildheart, in June. His second album, Kaleidoscope Dream, released in September 2012, was nominated for a Grammy award for Best Urban Contemporary Album at the 2013 Grammys. Miguel took home the Grammy for Best R&B Song for “Adorn,” featured on the album.